free website stats program Engine swap advice. | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine swap advice.

Yard Dogg

I'm looking at possibly buying a Pan Head frame and am wondering if I have any cheaper alternatives for a motor than a panhead. Is it possible to adapt an evo engine? If so, would it be cheaper? Would I run into title problems? Are there any good places to buy a panhead engine or evo if it can be adapted? I've checked E-bay, and have to say it is not the miracle place to buy things, so please don't mention the E-word.:D

I'm looking at possibly buying a Pan Head frame and am wondering if I have any cheaper alternatives for a motor than a panhead. Is it possible to adapt an evo engine? If so, would it be cheaper? Would I run into title problems? Are there any good places to buy a panhead engine or evo if it can be adapted? I've checked E-bay, and have to say it is not the miracle place to buy things, so please don't mention the E-word.:D

V-Twin makes after market Pan Heads. They make aftermarket everyhting. I think you could buy a whole bike from them.

It ain't going to be cheaper then buying a bike. If you want a Harley, shop craigslist, cycle trader, etc. Buy a complete bike. You will never piece one together cheaper then you can find a good used one.

I just thought I'd research a little before I got into a can of worms. If I had 15,000 laying around I'd do this project. But I think I'll just find a complete bike.

a pan frame will fit all big twin motors up to `84, NO evo`s,can be done,but the top rail & seat post will have to be moved(we`ve done it on shovel frames enough times back in the day)

Panzer's been out of Biz for Years!
I know and do Biz with Buzz Richardson in Canyon City,Co who used to build there Pan style Motors! He has #1 Panzer Bike in his shop...Good Old school motor builder!

If you have never built or owned a Harley why are you trying to put to things together that would require a lot of custom work

Just buy a complete bike that runs ride it, break it, fix it! The things your asking can be done, but not cheaply! You would have to be a Master Fabricator to make Mounts for the engine, frame, tranny, ...so just stop yanking your crank ! You wont find a 'cheap' -'panhead' those 2 words are not found in the same sentence that often!

I have 8 Old School Panhead bikes....all of them cost me under $1000 when I bought them.....and all are worth between $20-45 each and there NOT 4 SALE! Except for # 8 a 1959 FLH that I ride everyday
and have owned for 41 years!

Remember the most Important thing there is about owning, and riding an Old Knuck, Pan or Shovelhead.....you better know how to work on them yourself....Harley Dealers wont touch them....ThankGod 4 That!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back