free website stats program Engine starting | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine starting

DynaBike

When I first get on my bike cold, I just bump the ignition and the engine fires right up. If it's warmed up, like at a gas stop, it still starts, but I may have to hold in the starter for what seems like excessive time... 10/15 seconds maybe, or let off and try again for 10/15. Is that normal ?

No, it is not normal. I do not know why it is doing it, but it is not normal. Bike should start as EZ or easier when warm. Someone here will give you ideas on what to check. :s

Sure dont sound normal bike should start harder cold and then easier warmed up

I had a similar problem. Turned out to be an intake manifold air leak around the cylinder. When cold the mixture is enriched enough to overcome the air leak. When the engine is warm the mixture isn't enriched causing a lean mixture and hard starting. Might be something to check out.

There is a map (fuel mapping @ start up) for that in the ECM.
You do have mechanical cables going to your twist grip or are you drive by wire?

Also, how many miles on plugs.

Ill have to say mechanical, there are two large cables coming out from under the throttle and I can hear mechanical movement at the engine when I pull the throttle without the engine running. 2k on the bike/plugs.

10-15 is an exaggeration I guess, looking at my watch, it's more like 5, but still much longer than the initial startup.

My Wide Glide does the same thing. I have found that if I blip the throttle a little then immediately kill it with the run switch it will start easier when warm. I also give it about ten seconds after the engine light goes off before pushing the start button. It may be voodoo but it works for me.

You only have 2K mikes on an '07.
If so, has the problem been this way since New or is this something that has recently developed?

Also, there are no other issues with how the bike runs other than starting? No roll on throttle bogs, everything else normal.

May also want to check the fuel line hose in tank for leaks, air cavitation can possibly cause fuel pump to lose "prime" so it has to fill and build fuel pressure and capacity to enable fueling. Y'07 is stil pretty young to have battery problems, but if you have not been using a Battery Tender...cold weather and short trips and reduces the available CCA reserve.

When I first get on my bike cold, I just bump the ignition and the engine fires right up. If it's warmed up, like at a gas stop, it still starts, but I may have to hold in the starter for what seems like excessive time... 10/15 seconds maybe, or let off and try again for 10/15. Is that normal ?

FOR OTHERS TO HELP: HAS THE 07 BEEN MODIFIED AND IF YES HOW AND WHEN..../????

sounds like a TOO LEAN situation and after being warm it is TOO LEAN,it WON"T get the extra fuel needed as it does when cold... bet when it COOLS it fires RIGHT OFF.... correct???

I think you have exhaust and air MODS. BUT NO TFI

HOW close did I come?????? Let US know so WE can help....

signed....BUBBIE

Back