free website stats program Engine "squeaking noise" 1999 Night Train / Fat Boy custom | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine "squeaking noise" 1999 Night Train / Fat Boy custom

chuckchaz

I was riding today and about 100 miles into the trip I began to hear a "squeaking " noise coming from the left side of my engine. I have a Sreamin' Eagle engine with about 14k on it... It only makes the noise when you are on the throttle. When it idles it doesn't do it.:bigsmiley32:

I am not a mechanic by any means so I have no idea what this could be. It has never made this noise until today. Any ideas would be appreciated.

-Chuck

Sounds like a head gasket, although it may just be a leaking exhaust gasket.

Yea, i'd check the exhaust gaskets. One that leaks will make a squeak or chirp. Checking that with a spray or anything flammable is a bad idea. (i wouldn't hold a lighter by it to see if it blows it out)

Don't forget exhaust system clamps...and mating pipe surfaces...spray a lttle WD40 or similar to see if squeak disappears. Also had one of my baffles "work" loose, just had to retighten fasteners.

I was riding today and about 100 miles into the trip I began to hear a "squeaking " noise coming from the left side of my engine. I have a Sreamin' Eagle engine with about 14k on it... It only makes the noise when you are on the throttle. When it idles it doesn't do it.:bigsmiley32:

I am not a mechanic by any means so I have no idea what this could be. It has never made this noise until today. Any ideas would be appreciated.

-Chuck

What is done to the engine that makes it a "screamin eagle" engine?

Just curious.

Exhaust leaks can make some strange noises like chirping.

I checked the exhaust...doesn't appear to be loose. Everything is nice and tight.:bigsmiley32:I actually started her up and took her for a short ride this morning and guess what? NO SQUEAK! Now I am really confused:small3d012:

It is the Screamin' Eagle engine 110 cubic inch 4 over. It has had a lot of engine work done to it prior to my ownership so, I am not exactly sure what was done...

I checked the exhaust...doesn't appear to be loose. Everything is nice and tight.:bigsmiley32:I actually started her up and took her for a short ride this morning and guess what? NO SQUEAK! Now I am really confused:small3d012:

It is the Screamin' Eagle engine 110 cubic inch 4 over. It has had a lot of engine work done to it prior to my ownership so, I am not exactly sure what was done...

I BET you wear your Hat on backward when YOU twist the throttle on that Puppy!!

Check the tightness of the engine mounting bolts,,,, also the exhaust cover Clamps(snake skins if you have them), they do tend to make a Squeek when they rub under vibration when a little loose on the head pipe....
Mind did

signed....BUBBIE

The reason I ask is because there actually isn't a "SE engine". It may be an engine from a SE bike but the engines are generic in nature and receive the SE parts like heads, cams, intake etc. but that is a standard engine with SE parts added. Contrary to what most think, in previous years the SE bikes didn't even get the SE heads, just extra chrome and some fancy paint, also a much higher price tag.

Back