Engine sputters

Discussion in 'Engine, Fuel and Exhaust' started by ssbn 658, Feb 4, 2013.

1. ssbn 658

ssbn 658 New Member

I have a 05 Soft tail 88in FXST and I ride everyday to work. I start the engine with the choke on for about 3-4 minutes. Once I take the choke off, it dies. I'll start it again, give some gas and seems to be fine. When I take off, the engine sputters a few times and then runs normal after that. This has happened the last few days. Any ideas....Thanks.

2. 90FXRS

90FXRS Junior Member Contributor

I woud spray a little carb cleaner around the intake manifold to check for a leak. Sounds like you're fine after it warms up. Is the enrichener working properly?

3. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Agree, does this bike have a VOE? http://www.hdtalking.com/archive/t-810.html

4. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

On my carbed bikes i leave the choke about 1/4 open for about the first mile then fully close it but i live in a cold damp climate and ambient air temp and humidity can affect the operation of a carb

Brian

5. gb99roadking

gb99roadking New Member

All I've had are carbs. The problem could be a leak on the manifold, a leak on the vacuum line, the elbow on the enricher where it enters the carb could be loose or off and it could be gummed gas in the float bowl.