free website stats program Engine shuts down after 2-3miles. | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine shuts down after 2-3miles.

M8xi54

Ism a. newbie.I have a 96 Fatboy It has SE heads with compression releases a 42r Mikunie with Bassoni Pro Street exhaust.I had the ignition switched over to a Dyna from a Hi-4 about 2 years ago.my problem started from a once in a while miss or back fire to a now when the bike gets up to running temp.about 2 or 3 miles the engine just shuts down like if you hit the kill switch. Ill pull over to the side of the road, the lights are on and dash when I hiit the start it's like nothing.If I sit for about 10 or 15 mins and it's cooled down.I hit the start ,it fires up ,runs normal for about 2-3miles and does it again.luckily I wasn't to far from home.I have. checked the terminals on the battery and ground wires under the seat all are tight no corrosion.so Ian wondering could it be a breaker or ignition problem.I not to good with electrical. But wanted to check with guys to see if anyone else has had this problem that could at least point me in a direction for a possible fix before I got HD and get bent over. Thank s for any suggestions on this.

Thanks. Steve07 Ism going go that route 1st and see if that works .Ill get back to let you know if that Does the trick .Thanks again.

hi, i had a similar problem with my 94 softail-long story short,it turned out to be the ignition switch-i removed the central chrome nut just down from the speedo,removed the chrome instrument surround and unscrewed the ignition switch-i unscrewed the terminals [so take a picture before you start just so it goes back the same way :) ] and undermeath it has brass contacts that when used in conjuction with the switch when you first turn on your ignition,has what i would describe as a "brass dog bone " type bar that swipes the contacts underneath when you turn the ignition on and on mine they had worn badly.So to prove to me that this might be the problem,i grabbed the dogbone type bar which is under spring tension and rotated it 180 degrees so that when it does its swiping motion when you turn it,that at least the contacts have a good mating surface.For me ,this cured the problem,i dont know if this is exactly what ails your ride,but its worth a crack and costs nothing-good luck.

Thanks zoob2 for your input too. But. Ism going to change the main breaker first.and if that don't fix I will check your suggestion thanks again .

Back