free website stats program Engine shutdown | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine shutdown

gpaulogue

I have a 2003 Electra Glide Classic Screaming Eagle 103 including fuel injection.

Occasionally, when the engine is HOT and when I am coming to a stop and roll back the throttle to idle and engage the clutch, the engine RPM goes to zero and the engine quits .. if I try to immediately make a normal start, the engine will not start unless I crack the throttle ..... I have replaced the Engine temp sensor ... the speedometer continues to operate when this happens .... that is, it doesn't go immediately to zero ...?? ten minute cool down and it starts normally ..

If it is the main breaker, wouldn't some other electrical items fail? Everything else is working .... lights, panel. horn, etc ..?

I have a 2003 Electra Glide Classic Screaming Eagle 103 including fuel injection.

Occasionally, when the engine is HOT and when I am coming to a stop and roll back the throttle to idle and engage the clutch, the engine RPM goes to zero and the engine quits .. if I try to immediately make a normal start, the engine will not start unless I crack the throttle ..... I have replaced the Engine temp sensor ... the speedometer continues to operate when this happens .... that is, it doesn't go immediately to zero ...?? ten minute cool down and it starts normally ..

SAFETY-DB - Vehicle Complaint - Harley Davidson Electra Glide 2003 check this out maybe some thing here applies:s

The engine doesn't quit unless I take the throttle off and engage the clutch .... If I am in the right gear, I can restart by letting the clutch out .......

I would start with IAC as Glider suggested earlier. Good chance that could be it. Based on what you said about having to crack the throttle. The IAC is actually doing about the same thing by bleeding air behind the throttle plate. If it is sticking, you would manually have to crack the throttle.
(I assume the 2003 works the same as late model IAC's)

I replaced the engine temp sensor and cleaned the IAC ... no change ....when this occurs and I shut it down, I can restart with a cracked throttle, release the throttle and it idles ok ... get on the road for 15 minutes and it starts all over ...:(

No .... I can be going 50mph .... engage the clutch and the RPM goes to zero, but the speedo continues to operate normally .. 50 mph and decreasing .... gearing down, I can restart engine with the clutch and continue ...

Back