free website stats program engine shake | Harley Davidson Forums

engine shake

dhorne

On my 2001 Ultra classic the engine shake is very noticable , i tightend down the motor mounts and it reduced the shake , yesterday i was out riding and i noticed the bike wasn't charging , i quickly went home and then there was no power , i slapped the seat and the power came on so I took the seat off and tightened the battery , it was very loose , could this have anything to do why it will not charge , could it have fried my regulator ? I charged the battery backup and made no difference , I also installed the hogtunes amp and 6 speakers and like it at a high volme , could these be too much for the system??
I will go through the tests today in the self help , I only dread the fact that it could be the stator...

Last edited:
On my 2001 Ultra classic the engine shake is very noticable , i tightend down the motor mounts and it reduced the shake , yesterday i was out riding and i noticed the bike wasn't charging , i quickly went home and then there was no power , i slapped the seat and the power came on so I took the seat off and tightened the battery , it was very loose , could this have anything to do why it will not charge , could it have fried my regulator ? I charged the battery backup and made no difference , I also installed the hogtunes amp and 6 speakers and like it at a high volme , could these be too much for the system??
I will go through the tests today in the self help , I only dread the fact that it could be the stator...

If you don't have one, go buy yourself an inexpensive DVOM. Then do this stuff:

Testing The Charging System - Harley Davidson Community

Then remove and clean (wire brush) both mating surfaces of both ends of your battery cables (neg off first, on last).

If you found anything amiss when you did the testing above, fix that. If not, get a battery tender and plug it in over night. Good to go.

TQ

The extra power drain from your hogtunes could be causing your 40/50 amp breaker to overheat . Might be worth replacing the main breaker.

I would also clean/reconnect all major ground and power connections from the battery including those to the main breaker and voltage regulator.
Check the connection where the stator and voltage regulator join. If they are pitted, it may be a sign of arcing or corrosion.

And, after those checks if you are still not charging? It might be the rotor magnets have slipped out of position and thus the extra vibration. I already went through this. Once the slip you will get a small amount of power (system will show some charging but not as per manual) and alot of vibration. Hope that helps.

Well i took apart the wiring for the regulator area and found bare wires , I replaced the whole unit and still no charging , i also found oil in the connector that joins the regulator , i suspect from the broken wire i blew something else , where is the main breaker??this is a 2001 electraglide classic injected , thanks for your input guys

Yes the bare wires were at the bracket , would that fry the stator , I will go out and check the output ..thanks Glider

Sorry to say it would, that's probably why it isn't charging now.

Stator Replacement - Harley Davidson Community

Erratic Volt Gauge - Harley Davidson Community

Easiest way of checking/finding for that problem you found is do it in the darkness. You can see the sparks when the engine is running and you move the harness and it grounds out.

Very common on the older baggers where the harness wears through as it transverses the regulator mount. . Make sure to re route the harness when you fix things or at least protect them with some wire loom or the equivalent.

Use the preview button on this one, it's about the oil in the plug wires of the regulator.

Stator Plug Relocation - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited:
Thanks Glider , all the other tests prove the stator is bad , guess i will be parked for awhile...........really appreciate your useful help once again
saludos
Darren

Oh and i wonder why it didnt give me an engine light ??

Last edited by a moderator:
Back