free website stats program Engine running on one cylinder? | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine running on one cylinder?

gzrglyde

Have an S&S 96 inch motor. Replaced coil and plug wires recently, and also discovered the VOES was bad. All replaced, and ran strong...for about an hour. As I am riding, suddenly it starts running real rough. I pull overand the front plug wire had popped off (never had that happen before!). Figuredd that was it, so I put it back on tight, started the bike, and it ran the same...like only one cylinder was firing. Got it home, checked all wires, etc...everything looks fine. Front plug (these were new) is gas fouled, and rear looks perfect. Any ideas?

Swap the plugs and see what that does, could be a defective plug. Otherwise check the compression.

Changed out the new plug wire on the front cylinder...runs a little better, it seems...but ehaust is still cold coming out of pipe. I am not going to be happy if it is the coil...brand new Accel coil.

Trying to figure out how to test the coil....I have an Accel single fire coil. Has two negative (-) terminals one positive terminal in the middle (+) and then the two terminals for the plug wires. I have an ohmeter...can you tell me how to test the coil? Appreciate the help greatly!

Thanx! Got the coil checked...okay, swapped plugs and wires...no change. Local shop says they think it is ignition...I'm taking it in, tired of trying to troubleshoot this and taking the gase tank on and off to get at the coil and wires. Like to shoot the engineers who designed this...almost as bad as fighter aircraft engineers...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanx! Got the coil checked...okay, swapped plugs and wires...no change. Local shop says they think it is ignition...I'm taking it in, tired of trying to troubleshoot this and taking the gase tank on and off to get at the coil and wires. Like to shoot the engineers who designed this...almost as bad as fighter aircraft engineers...

What Ignition system are you running? I have seen many problems with Dyna pick ups going bad, They are not too hard to trouble shoot, you can find PDF files on most ignition web sites for trouble shooting, Good Luck and let us know, Also Agree with Glider on a compression test maybe a blown Head Gasket?

Back