free website stats program Engine Revival | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine Revival

asontx

Ok, so once I get the gas tank and carb. re-installed. what is the best way to prep an old Shovelhead for restarting? The 83 FXRS was put up when the carb. caught fire. Supposedly the rest of the engine was fine up until then, my uncle sez... Change the oil? Are there other things I should consider? Asking the most experience folks out there and thanks in advance!

Dean

Last edited:
Change oil .. plugs .. put soem oil down the cylinders and turn over engine with plugs out by putting in gear and turning rear tire .. once ya did that i would spin it over with started before i tried to start it to build up oil pressure

Good advice, definately lube the cylinders before you turn it over (with the plugs out) before you attempt to start it. I'd take time to check drain the tank/inspect wires also. Charge the battery good and crank her up.

Cool, that makes sense, how about the lower parts of the motor, the crankcase, the transmission. After sitting for 19 years is there anything I should check out there before turning it over? Thanks, appreciate the responses.

Dean

Back