free website stats program Engine Replacement | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine Replacement

I need to do some major engine work to my FXSTDI (Softail Deuce) due to my fly wheel being out of balance and a horrible vibration. Looking for Advice on which road to go down.

1. If i am going to split the cases i might was to a rebuilt (50,000 miles on bike), change the cam tensioners, etc Should be very expensive, am i better off looking into a newer used engine from ebay or some place

2. Has anyone purchased an engine that way, with what kinda of results...

I'm watching engine on line for $1,800-2,600. does that sound about right?

3. what special tooling will i need to do a removal and placement of an engine.

thanks a bunch for any info!!

I need to do some major engine work to my FXSTDI (Softail Deuce) due to my fly wheel being out of balance and a horrible vibration. Looking for Advice on which road to go down.

1. If i am going to split the cases i might was to a rebuilt (50,000 miles on bike), change the cam tensioners, etc Should be very expensive, am i better off looking into a newer used engine from ebay or some place

2. Has anyone purchased an engine that way, with what kinda of results...

I'm watching engine on line for $1,800-2,600. does that sound about right?

3. what special tooling will i need to do a removal and placement of an engine.

thanks a bunch for any info!!

First off I would check into The MOCO reman program that way you get your same cases back to match your VIN, second if you have a lot of hand tools disconnect the battery and have at it. You may take digital pictures along the way for future reference

I have said it before the REMAN program is a great value, and you keep your vin#s. Did my 94 EVO and couldn't be happier.

i have spent the afternoon looking into the re-manufactor engines and it looks like the way to go. I am planning oN taking the motor out myself, does any one know of any good links/ videos of engine REMOVAL aND REPLACEMENT?

ANYTHING I SHOULD BE CAREFUL OF WHILE INSTALLING? i KNOW THAT IT VOIDS THE WARRENTY IF I DO IT MYSELF, BUT I THINK IF I TAKE MY TIME AND LABEL THINGS I WILL BE FINE.

ANY HINTS OR POINTERS FOR REMOVAL. THANKS AGAIN. I WILL KEEP U POSTED ON HOW IT TURNS OUT.

THANKS AGAIN

i have spent the afternoon looking into the re-manufactor engines and it looks like the way to go. I am planning oN taking the motor out myself, does any one know of any good links/ videos of engine REMOVAL aND REPLACEMENT?

ANYTHING I SHOULD BE CAREFUL OF WHILE INSTALLING? i KNOW THAT IT VOIDS THE WARRENTY IF I DO IT MYSELF, BUT I THINK IF I TAKE MY TIME AND LABEL THINGS I WILL BE FINE.

ANY HINTS OR POINTERS FOR REMOVAL. THANKS AGAIN. I WILL KEEP U POSTED ON HOW IT TURNS OUT.

THANKS AGAIN

Have you checked with the dealer as to the cost to install? The 12mo unlimited mile warrenty is something I really liked.

THANKS AGAIN

Google check here and GOOD LUCK, watch out for the Caps locks got me my signature line it is considered shouting :p

I'm looking to replace my engine and am wondering what kind of problems i might have with a new engine bolting up to frame and tranny. I'm leaning towards a Rev tech Engine. Or a larger EVO harley engine.

If your engine is the balanced "B" engine, you must replace with another B engine. The motor mounts are different (horizontal) than the "A", which are vertical. Evo engine won't fit. In my opinion the best $ value is Harley re-manufacture program. The downside is that dealer must do the swap (unless that's changed) which adds $$ to the overall.

I agree with Breeze, the best $ deal is MoCo's rebuild. You will have to let them remove the engine though, which if you are like me you don't really care much for that but most times they will treat your (outside the engine) mods with respect.

If you have plenty of money, I like the S&S rebuilds. These are a step up from the HD rebuild and also offer options to go along with the rebuilds. They run around $5800 to $6500 for standard rebuild. You ship them the engine only.

Back