free website stats program Engine Remanufacturing | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine Remanufacturing

Sell the one you have and go with an ultima 113 or 120 i have the 113 been running for 25000 miles and no trouble payed 3800 for it,jel p.s came with carb

Sent mine back last summer on my "96 Road King when the cam bearing went bad and came loose. About 33,000 miles on it when it happened. The dealer said turn around time takes about two weeks but in all reality took about four. It cost me about 2200.00 when all was said and done, less the labor. But in all I'm very pleased with the results:). I even got a 12 month unlimited mileage warranty with it. If you've made any upgrades to the engine you will need to replace them with the original parts as any upgrade sent back to Harley will be replace and sent back with stock, original parts. If you send your EVO back Harley replaces the cam bearings with the original one, that will not hold up over time, so take my advice and replace it with a Torrington Bearing, cost less than 10.00 but worth every penny. Good luck!

I had some other things done while I had it off the bike like replacing the belt, replaced the stator since it was showing signs of wear, replaced the cam position sensor, installing my Andrews EV27 cam and new bearing etc. The mechanic is a personal friend of mine so he helped me out whenever he could but to answer you questions I think he figured on about 8 hours or so on the engine itself.

Smitty901, consider yourself fortunate. When I took my bike in to find out what the problem was, there were two other Evos in the shop having the same bearing replaced. The problem starts out as a whining noise that sounds almost like a sewing machine. Unfortunate for me I did not catch it in time and the cage on the bearing came off and broke into several small pieces. Since my situation I have spoke with several mechanics and Evo owners who are very aware of the problem. I have since found out that most aftermarket cam manufacturers recommend replacing the bearing with the Torrington bearing when upgrading the cam. But all the same I'm glad someone forgot to program in all of the low mileage failures on your bike, just wish they would have done the same on mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks - I was thinking a little under, so it's good to know. My 88 Electra Glide sounds like that right now.

Back