Engine Rebuild

Discussion in 'Sportster Models' started by av8rjim84, May 27, 2011.

1. av8rjim84

av8rjim84 Member

Hey guys. Just wondering if any of you sportster 1200 owners out there have had to have your engine overhauled/rebuilt yet. Also wondering around how many miles she had on her, and around how much it cost to do. I only have 30,000 on her, so hopefully a long way away, but have to plan for the future. Depending on the cost of a rebuild/replacement, it may or may not be time for a new dyna by then. I must say that I do love this little sportster though, and may ride through a couple engines depending on how much custom work I have into the bike by then. As always, I appreciate your wisdom and thoughts.

2. av8rjim84

av8rjim84 Member

That price is a lot better than I was expecting. I can come up with that kind of dough. I was expecting something in the 4 to 5 range given the price of most HD accessories.

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

I always do my own and some friends. I will only do the top end at about 50/60ooo miles at the earliest..

I just like to Freshen the top end, Going thru the pistons and rings with a re-bore and valve work as needed.
    Then I go crazy and get the Heads ported and flowed and on and On and on....

There is a remanufacture program that HD offers... The motor goes out and the Totally rebuilt STOCK motor comes back all rebuilt and Looking new.... Work HAS to be apart and together at a HD dealer as they ship it back to the HD rebuild center and install it when it gets back. But the COST is a Winner for the amount of work done.

I have not used their program but I'll bet it is good from the excellent comments other members here who have..

Look at your HD dealer to see and ask prices... I think you can find cost and information on line from HD.

4. av8rjim84

av8rjim84 Member

Thank you all very much guys. I appreciate all the responses and advice. Something that must be said about the sportster, is that it is a fun and addictive little bike. I want to prolong the fun for as long as possible. :D
    Will keep up the maintenance schedule, keep adding chrome, and start saving for the overhaul when I start seeing 6 digits on the odometer.
  5. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

As T bones and Bubbie said they are pretty stout motors, you may need to do rocker box gaskets early on, other than that run it:s My experience with the leaky rocker boxes is I use metal base and head gaskets and never had a leak again:s