free website stats program engine quits | Harley Davidson Forums

engine quits

I rode bike about 20 mile round trip no problems. Later in day I took bike out and it died about half mile up the road. The bike cranked but would not fire. Started to push it home, stopped to take a break pushed starter button and it fired up. A week later rode it about 25 miles stopped to eat dinner. After leaving restaurant rode about a mile and engine shut off. Tried restarting, just turned over. Every few minutes I tried to start. After about ten minutes it started and went about 5 miles on freeway it started missing for a couple seconds then died. Waited about a minute it restarted and drove about 1 mile to my exit, when merging on next road it shut off again. After waiting a minute it started and rode 5 miles home. Any ideas where to start testing. The bike is 1990 electra glide ultra.

Sounds like a fuel problem, open the cap see if that helps, check your petcock

There could be some intermittent fuel flow problem or possibly an intermittent ignition system issue
Perhaps it is easier to eliminate fuel flow issues first check first the filter screen in the tank then the fuel pipe for routing and condition an air lock in the fuel pipe if badly routed could cause a delivery issue

Brian

Got you going on the fuel side, how about the electrics? Battery age? Checked the cables and connections? Any funny signs from the gauges? When you stop check the headlight while the switch is still on. Look good? Just covering the bases! Steve

Battery is new, replaced after the first time it died. When it happened the second time it cranked fine, did not wear battery down. I' m thinking maybe ignition module since it restarts after sitting 5-10 minutes and then stalls out a few miles later. I need to find how to check it with my multi tester.

HD91FLHT010.gif
Have a look here, #47 could be the problem, the next time it quits try some compredded cool air on the cone area to see if it starts back up:s

I'll have to buy a service manual to see what #47 is and how to test it. I had a charging problem in 2012 and followed some ones post on testing to see if it was stator or regulator. Like a carpenter measures twice and cuts once I tested twice before I spent $130.00 for a new regulator.

I'll have to buy a service manual to see what #47 is and how to test it. I had a charging problem in 2012 and followed some ones post on testing to see if it was stator or regulator. Like a carpenter measures twice and cuts once I tested twice before I spent $130.00 for a new regulator.

#47 is the electronic pick up for the ignition, when they get hot they break down, take a look at the wires coming out of the cone, are they melted or de formed?

Back