free website stats program Engine Oil Weight | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine Oil Weight

Probably never know the difference I used 60 wt Valvoline for years, never had all this specialized oil. But I'm no mechanic....There used to be a guy on here that refered to motorcycle engines as tractor motors, I kind of agree. Now the electrical system that I would say the course with.

Exactly bro....VR1 50&60 Is what I use:
ValvolineVR1Racing50w.jpg

I've never understood why my Panhead, Shovelhead, or Triumph didn't blow up without having "motorcycle" oil in them!!!

Late to this thread, but Moco service manuals states;
20-50W up to 60* ambient air temps
50W in 60-80* temps
60W in sustained temps above 80*.
Not in the serice manual, but in engines that have performance upgrades, and are also ridden in a more aggressive fashion, the tighter the oil service intervals should be.

A better idea would be to contact the customer service section of Mobil and see which of the two oils THEY recommend for an air cooled H-D.

I bet it wont be the car one.

I've never understood why my Panhead, Shovelhead, or Triumph didn't blow up without having "motorcycle" oil in them!!!

No they wouldn't blow up, but how often were valve jobs done on the older motors?

Ken

Back in the day the oils had more zinc and other additives, prior to cat converters on auto engines, top ends on older motors would need valve and or rings around 50 k the pan and early shovel motors came from the factory with NO valve seals imagine that ans we wonder why they smoked and used oil:D

Back