Votes: 200 12.3%
  • Amsoil

Votes: 439 26.9%
  • Lucas

Votes: 48 2.9%
  • OTHER (Please Specify)

Votes: 129 7.9%

• Total voters
Hey Glider - Don't know if you get H-D's "Enthusiast" magazine, but in the Fall 2007 issue on page 10, there's an article entitled, "Straight Talk about Syn3." Typical interview type of article which, in a nutshell, tries to sell that H-D brand of oil stating it has been developed and tested exclusively for all 3-holes in a Harley. Think I will continue to stick to Mobile1 V-Twin 20w50 in the crankcase, Mobile1 75w90 Gear Oil in the trans and H-D Formula+ in the primary. Just makes better sense to me.

Yes I do get the mag.

They can convey anything they wish as a good marketing ploy but it is no good in the trans, it's too thin .

I have a few buds that work on these bikes in dealerships and they see the bikes coming in with blued shift forks and bearing problems that have been using SYN 3. It's just not thick enough for the trans, even in engine is marginal too besides NOT being a group 4 synthetic like the others.
It it were so great an oil, why then did Harley stop advocating the use of it in the trans in 05? Now they push formula+ which is better than the syn 3 in the trans but is still a compromise for the gearbox and the primary BOTH. If you try other syn oils and then switch to syn 3 , listen to the engine noise and it will verify what I am telling you.

I use the formula+ only in the primary.

I reread the article again and to me it sounds as if they are taking BOTH sides of the fence by saying first you should use syn 3 or face possibly voiding the warrantee , and then you can use other brands if it meets or exceeds their specs.

They play with the words so much that I really don't think THEY know!

The Magnusson Moss act disagree's with their teachings.

http://www.hdtimeline.com/general_tips/862-dealers_and_voiding_your_warrantee.html

Last edited:
[quote=glider;10209
The Magnusson Moss act disagrees with their teachings.

Federal law should mandate that it's posted on every door, wall and bike as well as make you and the Stealer sign a copy of it with each purchase!!! :42:

Can you imagine the reprocussions from the dealers if this was posted in every dealership? It may drive them honest.

:laugh

I use amsoil 20-50 in the crankcase and primary,amsoil 75-90 in the tranny.I noticed a big difference in the tranny right away.I have thought about the availabilaty of amsoil on the road but figured I could add a good syn if I had too.I havent used a quart of oil between changes, every 5000 miles

Thanks Glider. Did you ever think about "Dr Glider" Because you help people one way or another. Thanks again & Ride safe.

Back