free website stats program Engine Oil level checking 2007 XL883R?? | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine Oil level checking 2007 XL883R??

I bought a beautifull grey 2007 XL883R with 1500 miles on it. I had the local dealer perform the 1000 mile service. I checked my oil on the sidestand after a 10 mile ride, and the oil was not even touching the bottm of the dip stick. I added about 10 oz's oil and now it's 1/3 the way up from the min to max lines. The local dealer said they check rubber mount sportsters for oil level while the bike is straight up and down. Did I hurt my engine running it 10 oz's low?????? Is the shop right???? My new service manual is at my house 100 miles away. I'll read it this weekend. BTW I really love this 883R! Thanks for the help. This is a great site. Peace.

Instructions for checking oil level vary, my 2004 XL1200R is a rubber mount model. Service manual says oil level is checked while leaning on the jiffy stand.

The dipstick readings...cold should just above lowest mark; hot it should be between the add and full marks.

Back