free website stats program Engine Oil leak | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine Oil leak

Sounds like you have identified the leaking fluid as trans fluid. If that is the case, removing the inner primary and trans pulley is required to make the repair. fin_676 has you covered on the basics and you definitely need the service manual and the IPB race puller/installer.

When I go that far into the inner primary, I replace every seal, i.e., quad seal and spacer, mainshaft seal, mainshaft/5th gear seal, shifter shaft seal and IPB seal. The parts are cheap and unless you have done this a time or two, it is not a job the average DIY guy wants to take on more than once. Not that complicated but messy and labor intensive.:bigsmiley25:

Common mistakes are getting in a hurry and missing a step, forgetting to drain the trans before pulling the main shaft seal (messy), not protecting the new IPB seal from the mainshaft splines which can/will nick the new seal if the main shaft is not wrapped with painters tape or something similar. I suggest using Redline Shockproof, it's pink and should you develop another leak, if it's not pink, you know the source is not the trans.

Patience and following the service manual are the two most important steps in the process; good luck.

Sounds like you have identified the leaking fluid as trans fluid. If that is the case, removing the inner primary and trans pulley is required to make the repair. fin_676 has you covered on the basics and you definitely need the service manual and the IPB race puller/installer.

When I go that far into the inner primary, I replace every seal, i.e., quad seal and spacer, mainshaft seal, mainshaft/5th gear seal, shifter shaft seal and IPB seal. The parts are cheap and unless you have done this a time or two, it is not a job the average DIY guy wants to take on more than once. Not that complicated but messy and labor intensive.:bigsmiley25:

Common mistakes are getting in a hurry and missing a step, forgetting to drain the trans before pulling the main shaft seal (messy), not protecting the new IPB seal from the mainshaft splines which can/will nick the new seal if the main shaft is not wrapped with painters tape or something similar. I suggest using Redline Shockproof, it's pink and should you develop another leak, if it's not pink, you know the source is not the trans.

Patience and following the service manual are the two most important steps in the process; good luck.

well it appears I am losing engine and transmission fluid at the same time. Dos the mainshaft run between both?

well it appears I am losing engine and transmission fluid at the same time. Dos the mainshaft run between both?

No. If you didn't check the oil level before the trip, you can't say for sure if any oil was lost; could have been low before you started. I would be concentrating on the trans leak; get it fixed then top off the oil and ride. Monitor oil loss/consumption from a know baseline and mileage.

Back