free website stats program Engine oil in Primary | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine oil in Primary

Something is just not making sense. The OP states that he had to add oil in 450 miles but does not state how much he added. Second why would you remove primary cover to remove oil when drain plug would have worked. If over 5 quarts was in the primary I would believe that it would have been leaking from some where while riding and am not sure that the clutch would even operate correctly. The only thing that could have fed primary would have been engine for it hold 4 quarts and if engine oil was leaking into primary how did engine never knock or oil light come on at some point.:newsmile040:
If said engine seal needs replaced then you need to find out route cause of failure for that seal normally does not go bad unless if compensator is replaced and seal is nicked.

The left crank seal can let oil leak into the primary. The problem is not normally that the seal fails, it's that there is too much pressure in the crankcase forcing the oil through. It's sometimes caused by umbrella valves in the rocker boxes not venting. BUT you say you are getting blowby oil in your air filter? You may have a clogged oil return passage or bad oring in your oil pump, allowing oil to build up in the crankcase instead of returning to the oil pan. Have you done any engine work in the cam chest?
If you find the problem, I think the seal will stop letting oil into the primary.
Just my guesses.

P.S. oil buildup in the crankcase often makes the bike feel sluggish and underpowered.

Without judging, I agree with the above completely! I was trying to answer the question of "where"? Breeze went straight to "why"? Nice!:worthy

True! We all should find what is the root cause before replace the parts. I am just like you to answer the question. :bigsmiley25:

I guess OP may have gotten bike corrected.. Has not logged in with any follow up... Oh well...:nosad

5 quarts out of the primary!! Was there any oil left in the engine? How much oil has been added to the engine before finding this problem in the primary?

Something seriously wrong. Don't go to far afield until it is figured out.

Cheers,

TQ

Hi everyone, I’m new to this forum and realize this is an old post but…. Last summer I picked up a 2007 Softail Springer Classic 96 cu. 24,000 miles The bike was covered in Willie G covers which is really not my style so after a few weeks I went to swap out my derby cover and noticed fluid running out of the primary. I hadcthe bike setting up straight so it raised a brow wondering how you could overfill a bike at level. I changed the cover and went about my normal life until I noticed the engine oil was very blackish and also my clutch was creeping and hard to fond neutral and did not sound well when dropping into first. I thought best to change the fluids and adjust the clutch. When I started draining the primary I realized that I had way to much oil coming out but continued to drain this now black primary fluid from my scoot. BTW, when I changed the derby cover the fluid was fresh and clear. When I finished draining the primary I bottled up and extra 2 quarts outside of the normal 32 oz. I my tranny was clean and full so I decided to leave it be and just change the crankcase and primary. I make the switch to Lucas fluids during the change due to better availability. All was great for the reat of the summer and cooler weather riding. Mo clutch issues or loosing oil from the crankcase. Now with mid america hot summer at it’s finest, my crankcase is showing low and clutch acting up again. Without even looking, I know what’s going on. I will change the oil this weekend since by mileage it’s do. Now my question is, did the oil leak over because of normal breakdown and heat for some strange reason or should suspect a seal or other mechanical failure. Bike now has 30,000 miles. Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.

1. If you don't have a service manual I would suggest you get one. I have attached 2 pics for what Dolt is talking about. In pic1 is the seal, item 5 is p/n12035B and IPb race, item 6 p/n 34091-85A.
    In pic 2 item 19 is a quad seal, p/n11165 and item 22 is a seal, p/n 12067B. There is also a spacing between #6 and # 11. I believe it is .100"-.200". It also requires a special tool for removal & installation.

Pic 1

Pic 2
    tourbox

Agree with Pete, when you dig into it I would suggest changing all the seals as long as you're in there. Check these photos out as well.

Last edited:
Back