free website stats program Engine oil in primary or over full | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine oil in primary or over full

Morto

I just got myself a 1986 softail with the evo 1340 engine 5 speed . As you would with a new bike i went to change the oils and when i took the clutch cover off oil came spewing out. My mouth droped as i just finished watching oil changes on utube and in the primary there should only be around a 1 ltr of oil it was black and dirty . DO YOU THINK this is why i hade trouble with nuetral and 3rd gear . I am going to do the oil changes and keep checking engine oil to see if it drops . any info about this problem would be helpfull thanks.....

I just got myself a 1986 softail with the evo 1340 engine 5 speed . As you would with a new bike i went to change the oils and when i took the clutch cover off oil came spewing out. My mouth droped as i just finished watching oil changes on utube and in the primary there should only be around a 1 ltr of oil it was black and dirty . DO YOU THINK this is why i hade trouble with nuetral and 3rd gear . I am going to do the oil changes and keep checking engine oil to see if it drops . any info about this problem would be helpfull thanks.....
Yes if the primary is over full you will have clutch problems, This is a common problem with older Evos, oil migration from the crank case

Oil migration happens from worn out crank seals, improper spacers and porous crank cases all problems on early to late Evo crank cases, Harley knew of the poor cases but chose to ignore the problem after a few years of recalls

Last edited by a moderator:
I have done the oil change and will keep checking oil levels is it a big job to fix and how do i do it?:(

The friend of minethat had the EVO with the motor oil into the primary, had a lot of Blow-By at the piston rings.

You can check the compression in each cylinder and that pressure showing will tell you IF Blow-By is present.

I Might be wrong on the compression here,,, but showing 160# and up might be good IF it IS equal in each cylinder or close...

Take a compression test if you can and see. Please post the results here.

signed....BUBBIE

I have done the oil change and will keep checking oil levels is it a big job to fix and how do i do it?:(

Cross that bridge when you find out IF it is leaking from the motor into the Primary. That seal MAY quit leaking if leaking because it had set for a long time'

Depends on your ability to do repair. A good HD manual (big one) for that bike would do you a lot of good. Then you might be just fine doing it your self...

You'll have a lot of help from a few members here. But the big book is NECESSARY tool for you.

Another problem MIGHT be the squirel cage oil return More Latter IF you have oil into the primary.

signed....BUBBIE

I can see your green light is on. That tells me you are on the HDT forum.

Remember that you need to check the oil after it is run and warmed up to give you an accurate measure of engine oil...

Good luck with it.

signed....BUBBIE

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks BUBBIE i will get a book some times when i start it i get a fuel oil mix out the breather line and the starter has a hard time winding over due to compresion. ithink not sure but maybe the timing is out a bit .

1 more area of concern is the stator screws, they have been known to leak oil also

The stator screws that sounds like trouble when i hade it going with the inspection covers off the stator looked out of balance egg shaped in a way thanks for your info Capital Jack

The stator screws that sounds like trouble when i hade it going with the inspection covers off the stator looked out of balance egg shaped in a way

Interesting observation, got any pictures?

Interesting observation, got any pictures?

Ha ha ha ha ha ...

You of all photo takers should ask for Pictures.... :newsmile063:
I read the stories about your picture taking Jack:D LOL

BUT I gotta think you'd understand them as they would be up-side-down.. You know,,,,,From Down-Under.

The BOSS made me say that.....:yes

signed....BUBBIE

Back