free website stats program Engine oil coming from filler neck | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine oil coming from filler neck

Eddy1

i remember reading about this somewhere but cant seem to find it. if anyone knows the reason for this it would be greatly appreciated.

glider just had hyd cam chain kit installed 2 months ago. got about a 1000 miles since done & had no problem till yesterday.went for ride on freeway about 30 miles at 70 miles an hour & oil started coming from filler neck. if something was out of line wouldn't it of showed up before now?

Not necessarily, it sounds like the oil pump alignment is your problem/ possibly a misplaced "O" ring as a possibility too. Have the shop that did the work check it over after you tell them your problem with the oil.

glider just had hyd cam chain kit installed 2 months ago. got about a 1000 miles since done & had no problem till yesterday.went for ride on freeway about 30 miles at 70 miles an hour & oil started coming from filler neck. if something was out of line wouldn't it of showed up before now?

It probably took the sustained rpm of that trip to show up.

As others have said, overfilling is the main cause...aggravated by the high speed/temp running expanding the fluid. BTW the new 2010 Sportster is touted to having a relief valve to depressurize the oil bag as it is only plastic and there have been cases of cracking at the seams due to a few psi overpressure.

My take on this after a couple questions?

Did you run the bike just as much before (30 mi.)During the 1000 miles???

Or was this 30 miles the "First Long Outing" after the KIT change..

I would want to believe it was ""Just Over-Full"" to start with and long ride Pumped out All the sump oil into tank...

I think you have the Normal Problem of "oil tank leaks by and fills the sump area Then ??? DID you add any oil to the tank thinking it was low??? If So That Is The Problem....

If you lower the Oil to Proper Level While Hot and tank is in the over-full level now when Hot, Correct it and Don't add any oil when COLD(.)

If the problem of oil Pumping over the tank neck again, With the proper oil Level, You may have a pump problem like mentioned...

signed....BUBBIE

first time i had the bike at that speed for that long since kit was done. i very seldome run the freeway for any distance. ran bike for half an hour put on floor jack oil level fine. thanx guys for help

first time i had the bike at that speed for that long since kit was done. i very seldome run the freeway for any distance. ran bike for half an hour put on floor jack oil level fine. thanx guys for help

Are you saying it is Okay Now? Was it just an Over-full situation?

signed....BUBBIE

Are you saying you checked the oil while on the floor jack? My 03 Fatboy owner's manual says the get the engine to normal operating temp, let idle for a few minutes then kill engine and check oil level with bike in the upright position on a level surface. Anything other than this will give an incorrect reading.
Randall

Back