free website stats program Engine noise? | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine noise?

Hi all, New to the Harley sounds and need a little help. I have a 2009 Super Glide Custom with about 4k miles on it. Just bought it a few weeks ago. The sound I am getting seems to be on the left side and it happens at the lower speeds just before I shift. Book says to shift from 1st to 2nd around 15mph, from 2nd to 3rd around 25mph, etc. If I'm shifting from 1st to 2nd at about 18-20mph and NO load on the engine, I get a light clattering or knocking sound that is relevant to the engine rpm. Same way from 2nd to 3rd going 28-30mph with no load on the bike. If I was diagnosing the sound on cars 30-40 years ago, it almost sounds like a wrist pin noise to me. Noise doesn't seem to be getting any worse and does it only when the engine is hot. Here in southern Illinois, it's been mid to upper 90's in the last few days and I can here the sound after the bike's been running about 15 minutes. I have changed the oil and filter and put in the Syn3 oil and it did not make any difference. Is this just a Harley sound or do I need to take it back to the dealer where I bought it? Thanks!!

Sounds like it may be a compensator issue. I would definitely take it back to where I got it. Any warranty? If so, its a no brainer. Take it back.

Bodeen

Back