free website stats program Engine noise | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine noise

HD4FUN

I have a 2004 FLHTCI and have installed an AutoCom intercom system. After the bike has warmed up, I get alot of engine noise in my ears. I don't think its related to the AutoCom system because I still hear the whirring when I shut it down. The sound seems to become worse after the bike heats up. Any suggestions????

You mean electronic/electrical background noise like Hobbit suggests. Does it change with engine RPM or is it constant regardless of engine speed..

Correct. it changes as the engine RPMs fluctuate.

Does it sound like secondary ignition noise.? Check and replace as necessary secondary components such as spark plug wires, spark plugs, secondary connections inside coil towers etc.. Don't just look at them,, check them with a quality own meter. What are you using for plugs & wire? Factory stock or performance?

that to me would possibly suggest a short or he can hear the fuel pump or something is running when it should not be

Oh the whirling of the Fuel Pump!!.. Hobbit your a Genius. I thought he meant when he "shut down" the engine he heard the whirling of the static in the headset. Man was I in left field.

I keep hearing the whirring after i turn off my intercom so maybe it is the fuel pump. Thanks for the help!

I'm using stock plugs and wires. would performance parts stop the whirring and or static?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm using stock plugs and wires. would performance parts stop the whirring and or static?

Aftermarket parts could possibly make it worst than stock parts because of the suppression in the stock parts.

Back