free website stats program engine noise | Harley Davidson Forums

engine noise

alford 56

I noticed what seems to me to be excessive engine noise compared to my last jap bike. It sounds like tappet noise. Harley says there engines have hydralic lifters which should be quiet. Is this noise normal ?. Its not super loud but it is noticable. The engine has 7,500 miles on it . 2004 sporty

Take a ride to a HD dealership and listen to some of the other bikes to get some kind of comparison. I would never expect or even want it to sound like a metric bike. Entire different engineering. Comparing sounds is hard to put in print.:p

Hoople your right. Theres nothing like the sound of a harley. I will listen to some other bikes to compare against. Its just that hydralic lifters are considered self adjusting lifters limiting valve lash which is suposed to make for a much quieter running engine.

Ive seen quite a few lifters fell in sportsters, quite a loud ticking .Sounds like that maybe what your talking about.

When I bought my 92 xlh1200 it sounded a little loud to me also. Lifters ticking. I just put some straight pipes on it, re-jeted the carbs and have 70k miles on it now and no problems.

I could hear the ticking sound on my 09 soft tail after i switched to mobile 1 v-twin it's quiet . Purs like a bobcat now .

The lifters can become a little lazy after a while and not function correctly
i had that problem on my 93 sportster a few years ago sounded like tappet noise to me compared it to my 94 sporty which was much quieter so i replaced the lifters not expensive but a wee bit of stripping of the engine to do and all was quiet after that
however at time an exhaust leek where the header pipe meets the head can make a similar noise and only need the gaskets replaced

the 93 sportster was the first bike id ever had that didnt have screw adjusters for the tappets and as they go out of adjustment regularly its a noise ive heard many times before

Brian

my 07 nightrain really never made that sound. atleast i didnt think it did.until i put a front fairing on my bike.after i put that on i started hearing all kinds of new sounds.amazing when you get some of the air out of your ears.im sure your bike is fine but let someone else listen to it.

But if our bikes were not noisey who would pay attention when we ride by, might as well be on imports LOL

Back