free website stats program Engine noise. (not sure where to put this) | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine noise. (not sure where to put this)

Sgt York

I did the 5k oil change on my 07 EG and noticed that the noise has gotten worst. I thought that it’s a IDS problem, but I’m not sure now (got an IDS but have not installed it yet).

I get noise in 4th through 6th gear. Under a load in 6th is seems to quiet down but maintaining constant speed seems to make the noise (5th is really bad). My wife can barely hear it when we go over bridges. I had to point it out to her before she heard it at all.

I’ve double check the engine and primary (Mobil V-twin 20/50) and it’s ok. I had Mobil V-twin 20/50 in the trans, but after reading the debate on trans oil here, I changed the next day to Mobil 75/90.

I did the 5k oil change on my 07 EG and noticed that the noise has gotten worst. I thought that it’s a IDS problem, but I’m not sure now (got an IDS but have not installed it yet).

I get noise in 4th through 6th gear. Under a load in 6th is seems to quiet down but maintaining constant speed seems to make the noise (5th is really bad). My wife can barely hear it when we go over bridges. I had to point it out to her before she heard it at all.

I’ve double check the engine and primary (Mobil V-twin 20/50) and it’s ok. I had Mobil V-twin 20/50 in the trans, but after reading the debate on trans oil here, I changed the next day to Mobil 75/90.

Hey Sgt , you had Mobil V-twin 20/50 in all 3 holes ???? Did I read that correctly.
Not sure about Mobil V-twin 20/50 in the primary ?? That doesnt sound right either.

I would suggest installing the IDS. They make a fantastic difference in the 07 bikes. If the noise you are hearing sounds like a rattle or a can full of marbles when you are under slight acceleration , then the IDS will take care of it.
Always use a gear oil in the trans, the engine oil just will not stand up in there and Formula+ in the primary for best clutch operation.The Mobil1 has Moly in it which isn't good for wet clutches.

Sorry, I have Mobil V-twin 20/50 in the engine and primary and Mobil 75/90 gear oil in the trans

Hey Sgt , you had Mobil V-twin 20/50 in all 3 holes ???? Did I read that correctly.

Not sure about Mobil V-twin 20/50 in the primary ?? That doesnt sound right either.

Just got back from the "Primary Oil" thread

As long as there is NO Moly in (Primary) oil your good to go.
Moly is an anti wear additive and its a good addition to any oil, just not in the primary. :newsmile055:

Getting the IDS installed tomorrow!!

But last weekend I installed XiEDs and it seems to have made the engine/trans noise not as bad, even in 5th gear (I wonder if it was spark knock?). But I notice it's now not as smooth when going 20 or 30 MPH in town.

When I get the IDS installed tomorrow, I might try to run with out the XIEDs for a few days to see if it makes a differance.

Back