free website stats program engine noise after washing and changing pipes | Harley Davidson Forums

engine noise after washing and changing pipes

hi all just looking for advice i washed my bike after its first service and then fitted a set of vance and hines black widow mufflers (just the slip ons) i was assured by the dealer that i wouldnt have to change the computer as i didnt change the full exhaust now when riding around town i hear an air pump like sound from the motor which wasnt there before would this be a trait of the new mufflers or could i have gotten water into something i shouldnt have?
also blows a little bit of black smoke when revved is this normal?
should i take the pipes back off to see the difference in the noise?
any help is greatly appreciated as this is my first harley thanks.

If you had the stage 1 intake done also, that would account for the sound you hear which is the intake noise. It could be also that the mufflers aren't on far enough on the pipes and you are hearing exhaust..
The black smoke doesn't sound normal either unless you had a tuner installed when the work was done.

As stated before if you also upgraded to a highflow air cleaner , this might be what you are hearing , also you might here the injectors clicking ,these are normal sounds.this sound is more prevelent if you do a mod what Vrod ers call a going semi topless or completly topless, this is where they remove the top portion of the air cleaner cover completely Hence Semi and or remove the whole housing top and bottom portion hence Topless, You might just want to check if your top is clipped on properly this could also be the cause , Just remove your tin and check all 6 clips holding your air cleaned top down and theres .

thanks guys will do. just to clear things up nothings been done to the intake everything is standard except exhaust and it is only faint sort of wheatus/smoke on initial throttle twist will i do any damage to the bike to ride the 150km to the dealer or should i put original exhaust back on and check for the smoke and noise again in case its the pipes running in?
thanks again for the input.

Difficult to say without hearing the noise. Try putting on some heavy gloves and start the motor up. Cover the exhaust outlet and see if you hear a hissing from a leak in the system then check out the leak. You have to use considerable force against the outlets to hold back the exhaust.

I'm with Glider (as usual) in that whenever you do a mod, troubleshoot as is, backtracking in small increments and testing, while disturbing as little as possible.

Going all the way back to original could mask a simple problem, and reintroduce new ones, especially using used parts like using old original gaskets now grooved and disturbed from original fit upon removal, etc.

I would agree with Glider on trouble shooting techniques, but....
It's a new bike and under warranty. Let the dealer trouble shoot it.
Just make sure they don't charge you if they trace the problem back to the exhaust work you did yourself.

the noise is normal , the black smoke is normal , Im not going to get to technical here but when you changed your mufflers ,you basicly changed the wey your bike breathes , I would not worry about it . when you take your bike in for its first service have them look at it if you are worried , I am on my second vrod , I have been down this road 2x , Ride it and enjoy it,its all good.

Back