free website stats program engine moved forward in frame | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

engine moved forward in frame

So, i replaced the exaust system with patriot pipes and replaced the front motor mount that was shot. i noticed the front pipe heat shield was very close to the frame and thought maybe the fit was close being an after market item and i put a 1000 miles or so on and went to change the oil/filter and found my filter was up tight to my regulator. so, it appears my motor moved foward and i'm wondering how to pull it back....any ideas?

my bike is an 03 electra glide also the pipe shield knocked the taped on reflector off the frame. thanks, Steve

What is the PN of the motor mount? It is possible to install them upsided down; very easy to do. It is usually necessary to loosen the bracket fasteners but some R/R the bracket instead. Did you loosen or R/R the bracket?

The part of this that I do not understand is if motor has moved that far forward, than the transmission had to come along also. So how is rear wheel still turning?????

The part of this that I do not understand is if motor has moved that far forward, than the transmission had to come along also. So how is rear wheel still turning?????

From working on my Harleys the tranny would have to move forward with it. If there is too much tension on the belt, the wheel will be extremely difficult to turn. Not to mention the belt probably won't last 5 miles because of the heat and stresses generated from it.

But this is very weird/odd... never heard/seen this happen. It's not like it's one mount, the whole thing would have to move, which would mean welds would also break.

I'd love to see a picture or a video walk around of it.

When the old mount collapses, or the new one is upside down, the engine does not actually move forward. The front of the engine/trans. moves in a arc on the swing arm just as the rear axle moves in an arc on the swing arm/trans. The front jug drops down on the arc and the exhaust contacts the frame which angles back. It is very small amount of distance, that is why it's not noticed.

I would recheck that front mount, since you did not have the problem before

I would recheck that front mount, since you did not have the problem before

125793d1278118723-istructions-to-remove-replace-front-engine-motor-mount-mount-picture.jpg

Is this your mount?

Back