free website stats program Engine misses | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine misses

klee

Engine just started missing while riding. Misses at idle and at running speed. It does not seem to miss when I accelerate hard only when I maintain a constant speed or accelerate gradually.

One plug or plug wire. Plugs are funny that way. A leak would probably make it run rough but not miss fire.

No mods. Replaced plugs. A friend suggested it might be the fuel pump regulator. It is also popping back into the air cleaner.

Similar problem here. Bike was running fine, then after sitting 7 to 10 days, it started fine but quickly started to miss and pop through carb. Well, after rebuilding carb problem was still present. Installed new plugs and it ran perfect...for very few miles and then same thing. Checked the plugs again and they were very sooty. I have fresh fuel, new plugs, and rebuit carb. I suspect a weak spark condition. Any ideas on most likely cause of weak spark? What should I test first and how? Maybe a hotter plug?
Thanks Kev

Attachments

• IMG_0911.jpg
    IMG_0911.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 10
Stay with the stock heat range plugs. Possible the plug wires need replacing being a 94. If you can test the resistance in the wires or just replace them with stock wires, they aren't that expensive.

Back