free website stats program Engine misfires at low speeds | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine misfires at low speeds

Good advice from RibEye, a bad injector wire could very well be the problem.
Issues like yours can be a hit and miss process so the best advice is eliminate the obvious and easiest things before you start throwing money at it.

Issues like yours can be a hit and miss process so the best advice is eliminate the obvious and easiest things before you start throwing money at it.

You are most definitely right...it is hit and miss. More miss.

One thing I didn't mention is the bike starts and runs fine UNTIL, I roll on the throttle. it hesitates, coughs, sputters and then accelerates fine until I accelerate again or shift gears. It's like there is a dead spot. Since I replaced the TPS, that shouldn't be the issue. This morning, I crossed the diagnostic cable terminals 1&2 to check codes and I got 14...system relay closed. I did a continuity test on the relay with voltage applied to the relay and I got continuity. No problem. How does a code come up when the part is good??

This is very, very frustrating.

Injector wire test is next....

You are most definitely right...it is hit and miss. More miss.

One thing I didn't mention is the bike starts and runs fine UNTIL, I roll on the throttle. it hesitates, coughs, sputters and then accelerates fine until I accelerate again or shift gears. It's like there is a dead spot. Since I replaced the TPS, that shouldn't be the issue. This morning, I crossed the diagnostic cable terminals 1&2 to check codes and I got 14...system relay closed. I did a continuity test on the relay with voltage applied to the relay and I got continuity. No problem. How does a code come up when the part is good??

This is very, very frustrating.

Injector wire test is next....

I mis-read the code 14...it is engine temp sensor. This is really strange!

Last edited by a moderator:

Well, I took the tank off the bike and inspected/pulled on the wires closely. Nothing. So, I put everything back together, wiggled the injector wires and took it out for a short ride with no sputtering. When i got back, I put a jumper across the diagnostic connector 1-2 and got another code...63...ECM data low and/or ECM open/high. Sighhhh.

Any ideas??

Well, I took the tank off the bike and inspected/pulled on the wires closely. Nothing. So, I put everything back together, wiggled the injector wires and took it out for a short ride with no sputtering. When i got back, I put a jumper across the diagnostic connector 1-2 and got another code...63...ECM data low and/or ECM open/high. Sighhhh.

Any ideas??
I would take a closer look at the injectors , especialy the rear one were it is burning hotter. The rear runs hotter then the front any way, but I think the rear injector is a place to look . preaty easy to take the fuel rail off . put vasaline on the injector o rings when replacing .
The 88 ci engins have had a problem with the injector harness being too short and the wires breaking inside , usualy close to the injector conector.

F.K.

Back