free website stats program Engine misfire under light load | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine misfire under light load

Just thought I would throw out an update on this.
Fattened up the mixture a bit, I used Bubbie's procedure to to set the A/F mix, it appeared to be off some (lean). Finally got a chance to ride yesterday went a few hundred miles in all kinds of conditions and it never missed once.:D I will be going on a tour today again to see what happens. I still intend on checking fuel pressure if I can locate fittings to make a tester.

Last edited:
Update: Bike seemed fine for a few shorter rides but the miss has returned. One thing to note and my wife figured this one out, the bike runs great going down the road for 100 miles, once we stop for a little while for some gas or even a bite to eat, the bike starts to miss after the stop.

Tonight when I got home, I thought I would once again check for an intake leak while the bike was hot (last time it was not off the highway hot), I thought I got a jump in RPM once but could not get it to do it again. As the bike was running, I also had the gas cap off looking in the tank with a flash light. The tank only is only about 1/2 full and I can see a steady drip off of the throat of the tank, so maybe I do have a line leak in the tank that is spraying up where I cannot see then dripping running down where I can see. I need to check the fuel pressure like Hoople has suggested, maybe I'll see if the dealer here will do it for me as i dont have the fittings and time is growing short before my trip.

Finally got the bike to the dealer, they brought my bike into shop without an appointment. I know the guys in there real well and they treat me like gold. They put their fuel pressure tester on and fired up the bike. 63 psi, shut bike down and in 10 minutes the pressure was about 60 so it doesn't have a leak on the tubing on inside of the tank. Tech asked me again for the description. He fired it back up and pickeup a canister, sprayed the front intake flange, no change. He then sprayed the rear intake flange and bingo, bike stalled. Started it again, sprayed the flange and it stalled again. Pulled the tank and induction off and found the seal for the rear cylinder very deformed. Replaced seals and buttoned it all up, runs like a champ now. Not sure why i couldnt stall it when I sprayed the flanges myself. After buttoned up he checked for leaks on the injector o-rings as he says he has seen a few suck air past the o-rings as well. the tech said he has changed dozens and dozens of intake seals on twin cams as of late.
Landed up leaving the bike there as in the morning they are going to look at the banging in the primary on start up and shut down. I usually do that kind of work myself but these guys are great and will only charge me for parts. I told them to install the SE compensator if the original one is shot.

Last edited:
Thank you Hoople for steering me in the right direction on this one!:bigsmiley12:
He also told me that is is finding o-rings on the injectors leaking on some bikes as well, acts just like when an intake seal is leaking.

Last edited:
Thank you Hoople for steering me in the right direction
He also told me that is is finding o-rings on the injectors leaking on some bikes as well,

Everyone learns on the hard ones. I learned a bunch. Would you happen to know what solvent they used for testing? Sounds like it really works.

Would you happen to know what solvent they used for testing? Sounds like it really works.

No I do not, the canister looked just like a camping propane cylinder with a sprayer on it which liquid shot out of. I never got a chance to ask as we were discussing next steps, etc. I intend on asking what they use when I return to pick the bike up and I will let you know.

After I had my TFI for about a year I was experiencing the same problem as you describe. I called Dobeck and talked to the guy there. He had me do a couple of things to the TFI module like richen the green poteniometer up a smidge. That didn't fix the problem so I called him back a couple of hours later. He told me to box it up and send it back. He sent me a new one out as soon as he got the old one. I put the new one on and problem solved. They are very easy to do business with both before and after the sale.

Back