free website stats program engine mileage estimate by compression check? | Harley Davidson Forums

engine mileage estimate by compression check?

Big Dot

I bought an 03 softail with the FI 88 engine from a crook a year ago. His title called for about 6,000 miles, the bike showed 25,000. He said he had changed the speedometer. The bike now has about 36,000 and runs strong with no problems. I would like to know how to determine whether it now actually has 36,000 or 17,000 miles? I'm thinking maybe by a compression check. Thanks, Mike

Compression testing would be a difficult way of determining the actual mileage. It would vary with the type and frequency of maintenance that was given the engine. It could be a young motor with poor maintenance or an older motor with good maintenance that would return much the same results.

A compression check will tell you what kind of shape your engine is in but won't give you a clue as to the mileage.If the compression is good and the engine runs good then I wouldn't worry too much about the miles.I just wouldn't buy from that crook anymore!

What would be a good compression number for a well maintained engine with about 17,000 miles? Is there another way to approximate the real mileage other than compression?

I don't know the actual compression number for your application but more importantly you would want both numbers to be within 10 % of each other.

If it runs good, uses no oil , and doesn't display any unusual signs of wear, the only thing I would be worried about are the cam chain tensioners.
With mileage in question, checking the condition of the shoes might be a good idea.

Back