free website stats program Engine light with batt light and low voltage gauge | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine light with batt light and low voltage gauge

08dynalow

Ok so I traded my 08 FXDL for a 08 FLTR about 3-4 months ago, love them both. When leaving work this morning a buddy said he thought heard something rattling while it was idling. I heard no such noise so I rode on home about 15 miles or so and everything seemed to be normal. This afternoon I jump on the bike to head off to work and was about a mile away from the house when I noticed the volts gauge was low around 11ish. I know they are indicators and not a precise piece of equipment but when I seen this I noticed the eng light and batt light was steady on. I turned around and went back home and parked it. Pulled out the car and got back on the bike to park it in the garage and when I started it up the lights were out now but the gauge was still low around 12. I didn't have to run any checks on anything yet but I am just wanting to make sure I am on the right track. 1. Battery connections possible load testing at autozone. 2. Pull Derby cover and sniff around/check stator output. 3. Verify proper voltage on non stator side of regulator/no voltage bleed back through regulator. The bike has almost 24,000 on the clock. I am pretty sure it still has the factory installed battery. If the battery checks out it seems a little early to me that either the stator or regulator has gone or is going out. Is there anything else in the encylopedia of knowledge here that I should be checking? Any thoughts, comments, suggestions are more than welcome and appreciated.

Sounds to me like you know your business. Those are the things I would also do.
Hope it ain't the stator. I just changed one on my Sportster. A bit of work and down time.
Good Luck

Yes, check for tight battery connections then...

Then I would put a charger on your battery and see if it will come up to at least 12.6v.

If you get it there, put the bike in neutral and start it and then connect your volt meter across he battery terminals and see if you measure a min of 13.2v. You may need to boost rpm to around 1500-2000 to see that voltage.

If not, something is awry with your charging system, either voltage reg or stator or both. and I would proceed to check the stator output and stator ohms readings.

A guess on the engine light it's probably a code for low voltage.

Regards

The charger was put on it as soon as I got it parked in the garage so I am hoping that after I get a couple hours sleep in the morning it will be fully charged. Night shift is a killer. What should the ohms be on the stator? Thanks for the fast responses.

First, check for codes see what they tell you. Perform a WOW test and then you'll have a better idea on what is happening. (I'm betting P0562 or P0563).
I'm betting it's your voltage regulator (although the "rattle" your buddy heard has me concerned). IF you don't have one, get a service manual for your bike, well worth the investment. Once you've checked for codes, make sure the battery is fully charged and check the stator. IF your battery is OEM, I'd definitely replace that, it's a problem waiting to happen at this point. these electrical systems are all intertwined, one element going bad can effect them all so get your battery replaced.
I've had to replace two VRs on my bike, both went bad. the last one was of a batch that was built faulty and installed. I bought one of the shelf as a replacement only to have it fail 1.5 years later. Dealer replaced it for me. Check the bulletin below, then check the build date on your VR, if it falls in the date range, get with your dealer they should give you a new one.

If you need, I can post procedures out of the manual for testing your stator, I have an 08 FLHTC so the manual will work for you scoot.

http://www.hdtimeline.com/images/attach/pdf.gif

Removed battery and had it load tested=passed. Unplugged stator wires from regulator and am getting around 13ish volts at idle on each wire, RPM increase voltage follows. All 3 wires ohm out to 3 and infinity. Unplugged non-stator side wire on voltage regulator and get nothing running or not. Test light lit up on one side of that plug only with test light connected to neg side of battery. On non-stator side of regulator no voltage output while running. Pretty sure its the voltage regulator but I just wanted to what others thought.

Removed battery and had it load tested=passed. Unplugged stator wires from regulator and am getting around 13ish volts at idle on each wire, RPM increase voltage follows. All 3 wires ohm out to 3 and infinity. Unplugged non-stator side wire on voltage regulator and get nothing running or not. Test light lit up on one side of that plug only with test light connected to neg side of battery. On non-stator side of regulator no voltage output while running. Pretty sure its the voltage regulator but I just wanted to what others thought.

Assuming your bike has a stock 96" motor, what is your AC output at 2000RPM? Manual calls for between 32-46 volts at 2000RPM (16-23 per 1000RPM). Not sure what 13ish is, but it sounds a little low, which could be a stator issue.
Heres what the manual says about the continuity:

Using the ohms scale a good stator will show no continuity between any stator sockets and ground, any other reading indicates a grounded stator which must be replaced (pg1-24 2008 touring diagnostics.

Did you check the stator for resistance? On the 96" motor, resistance across all stator sockets should be between 0.1 - 0.2 ohms. HIghter then that indicates the stator is damaged, lower indicates a "turn to turn" short, whatever that is.

NOTE: I'm not a mechanic but do speak from experience with my bike. I am referring to the electrical diagnostics manual for MY 2008 touring bike. I believe your dyna has the same motor so it should be applicable.

==========================================================

Disregard my comment about the dynas, I see your riding a roadglide. Did you check for codes?

Last edited by a moderator:
Harley Davidson Forums Have you checked for codes yet? My money is on a bad regulator, that noise you talked about any more info on that? May want to check the compensator bolt:s

Code P0562 low voltage. PN32933-08. Not sure what that is but I'm guessing battery. As far as the noise I did hear a rattle but it sounded like it was coming from the rear of the bike. Haven't found the source yet because it doesn't do it every time it's running. Where is the compensator bolt located? I am thinking of pulling the primary cover and have a look around while it's down just for giggles.
WAP.gif

Back