free website stats program Engine light on, Code indicates Voltage Regulator | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine light on, Code indicates Voltage Regulator

steve57

I have a 97 Electra Glide Classic. The engine light has come on. (The oil level is fine.) I checked the diagnostic code and it indicates that the problem is with the voltage regulator. I've noticed that the volt meter has been running slightly higher. The bike starts fine, radio and lights are fine.

Can I continue to ride it (commute to work - few miles) - without causing any damage - until I can have a mechanic check it out?

Thanks for your help!

I have a 97 Electra Glide Classic. The engine light has come on. (The oil level is fine.) I checked the diagnostic code and it indicates that the problem is with the voltage regulator. I've noticed that the volt meter has been running slightly higher. The bike starts fine, radio and lights are fine.

Can I continue to ride it (commute to work - few miles) - without causing any damage - until I can have a mechanic check it out?

Thanks for your help!

If it is over charging you will be over charging the battery and creating extra heat, your ride you decide have you checked the voltage at the battery with a good volt meter? What is the reading?

Do exactly what Jack suggested. Check the voltage with a handheld voltmeter directly at the battery. At 2500 rpm, if the voltage is much above 14.8, I would fix it asap.

Back