free website stats program engine light codes 2001 softail | Harley Davidson Forums

engine light codes 2001 softail

harleyjo56

Currently I have a flsts 2001 Heritage springer. Recently I changed my speedometer out to a aftermarket speedo/ tach. I went to the Mountains last weekend, and I noticed my engine light coming on. Flash 5 times 30 seconds later flash 5 times. Stopped by a Harley dealer and he said it was historical code and would go out after 50 starts??? I have a crane ignition and the scanalyzer could not read any current codes??? Had to put in a Harley ignition just to check for codes, would not read the crane ignition. Can anyone tell me how to clear out the codes If they are historical?????? My engine light even with the old speedometer in the bike once you turn on the ignition stays on It never goes out-this is of course with the bike not started!!! I read in the electrical portion of this section where the light should go out after about 5 seconds. Thanks Joe

Reading the codes can be done with this post.

00-03 HD Codes And Activation - Harley Davidson Community

As far as the light, it will stay on for 50 start/run cycles of at least 30 seconds each and providing the fault doesn't return, it will clear itself at that point. If the light remains ON after a start, that is a current fault and will not clear itself until the fault is fixed and then becomes a historic code and the 50 start/run cycles apply.
If the engine light goes out a few seconds after the start or comes back on shortly then goes out,that is a historic code and it can be cleared with the scanalizer or digital tech at the dealers if you can't wait 50 starts.

Back