Engine Life

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by ewiltgen, Jul 23, 2010.

1. ewiltgen

ewiltgen Member

I have a 2008 e-glide ultra it has been well maintained using a quality syn oil. The only mods are SE stage 1 air breather, Vance & Hines slip ons and stage one download. I have 25k on the bike and was wondering what an average motor life is before it needs major engine work.

2. walleye

walleye Junior Member Contributor

So you are saying change oil every 50K and we will be good to go?!?!?! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!:newsmile017::D (Just kidding of course!)

3. ewiltgen

ewiltgen Member

Thanks for the quick response I'll keep changing mine at 5k or less.

4. glen073

glen073 Active Member

I have a 103,000 on my 04 Road Glide. Never had a problem with the motor. Put bigger cams in it at 30k. Been using synthetic Red Line 20/60 the whole time, which is changed every 5000 miles. I don't baby it, but don't do burn outs or wheelies. Still on original belt too. It still runs strong and has never left me broken down on the side of the road. Bought a new 2010 and have kept the Glide as a spare now.

5. ewiltgen

ewiltgen Member

103K Thats great I look forward to lots of good riding. Here in iowa we only get to ride about 7 or 8 months. BTW I don't do burnouts or wheelies either it gets ran but not abused.

6. glen073

glen073 Active Member

:sI hear ya. Just don't abuse them, but enjoy em. Another friend put 120k on his 01 Road King before trading up in 07.

7. billnapabill

billnapabill Active Member

I had 80,000 on my 02 Roadglide when I traded it in on an 07...........The 02 got stolen from the guy who bought it from the dealer. as far as I know the bikes in pieces all over the Bay Area. But he said he had put another 14k on it when it was taken and it still ran strong. It had Andrews 26GD cams, A Thunder Header, SE ignition and Air........I sure do miss that bike..........wait.........give a moment...........uhh, I'm ok now.
    Don't see why my 09 won't outlast me and my son's plannin on it!

8. EnjoyingTheRyde

EnjoyingTheRyde Junior Member

My son doesn't want the SG... He wants the wifes 1200 custom, but these mileage numbers are nice to hear considering we don't plan on trading anytime soon...:D

9. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

Since I average about 7-8k a year, I am feeling pretty good about my Sportster; I would expect 7-8 years is not a bad deal, but I am expecting better...that is why doing your own maintenance, often and right will go a long way to running gear life.

10. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

M/c engines have definitely improved over the years & easily go 50K+ w/o experiencing major problems. With proper care & maint...you could go over 100K before even cracking it open for major servicing. Sometimes a "lemon" comes along, but not very often...