free website stats program engine knock | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

engine knock

well guys, I had a mechanic check it good and with the stethescope mechanics use, narrowed it down to the compensator sprocket nut. Hopefully I won't have to replace the compensator sprocket itself. If I do you guys have any idea what it would cost?

Thanks for your help

I thought that would be what you were hearing, and how it changed when it warmed up. Most of the time if it didn't come apart and leave you sitting the nut can be taken off and the threads cleaned on the shaft and on the inside of the nut. Then they put locktight on it and torque it back on to specs. Sometimes they have to mill the nut a little or replace it. It is usually a straight forward fix. I had to do one on the road once while we ere at a Hog Rallie, because there was no other way to get home. Had to use a pair of vice grips and a hammer and a piece of 2x4 whittled down to tighten it because I didn't have a socket big enough with me. And no one else had one either. When I got home I took it back apart and did correctly. I was able to buy a quart of primary case oil from a vendor that was at the Hog Rallie. But it got us home about 300 miles worth. Let us know how it goes.

There is a Service Bulletin for new tightening spec for the compensator nut. I thought I had it, but can't find it. It specifies the type of loctite. Also has you tighten the nut a certain amount 1/4 turn or 1/2 turn after the torque spec. I will try to find it. Good Luck

I think cowboywildbill is right. I have a 03 FLSTS and i had the same kind of noise you seeem to have and it was the compensating nut. harley told me it should be torqued to 165ft lbs.mine rattled at 130ft lbs.

Yeah, it's kind of a distincive sound. Almost like a double knock, sounds kind of like a worn wrist pin or slapping piston does. It used to be a pretty common thing in the early 90's on the big twin Evo's. I had one come apart on a 93 Springer that was pushing 97 HP. I think the more torque and HP a motor has, might increase the chances of it happening.

I got my scoot fixed. It turned out to be the compensator nut. The springs in the compensator were shot and the nut was loose. Add to that my primary chain had stretched pretty good. It is all cleared up now.

Thanks to all who offered their opinions and suggestions. Now if I could get the squeak out of the clutch lever cable, I could be very happy.

i read in the hd book that the hydraulic lifters will sometimes get noisy and after it gets worse you need them replaced, read in the book about your lifters there self adjusting but do fail.

I got my scoot fixed. It turned out to be the compensator nut. The springs in the compensator were shot and the nut was loose. Add to that my primary chain had stretched pretty good. It is all cleared up now.

Thanks to all who offered their opinions and suggestions. Now if I could get the squeak out of the clutch lever cable, I could be very happy.

Loosen the adjuster, take the snap ring off the lever pin (carefully so it doesn't fly off and get lost - ask me how I know!), poke the pin out, remove the lever and lube it and the inside of the housing liberally with white lube. Put the lever back together, wipe off the excess lube and readjust. Should do it!

TQ

Back