free website stats program Engine Knock at Idle Only | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine Knock at Idle Only

franka

07 Road King with 23,000 miles. Noticing a knocking sound from engine at idle only and particularly when warm. Knock does not seem to be there when moving, any ideas?

07 Road King with 23,000 miles. Noticing a knocking sound from engine at idle only and particularly when warm. Knock does not seem to be there when moving, any ideas?

What happens when you pull in the clutch while idling??

Not sure, I'll try and let you know. What is your thought if when clutched depressed it goes away?

at idle only and particularly when warm.

Also may want to check the compensator for a cracked convex spring washer. Sounds like some play could be present. Under power, slack would be taken out but at idle would knock. (Also a good time to check primary chain tensioner)

Can you tell where the knock is coming from? Right side, left side, top, bottom?

I agree with Glider, I had the same thing with my heritage springer, a mechanic told me to check the torque on the compensator nut, tightened it to specs, no more knocks.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but, I seem to recall that the compensator nut is to be installed using red Loctite. If so, how in the world does it come loose on its own? Not a challenge. I've seen it. I just don't understand how it happens.

Enjoy,
Rich P

If so, how in the world does it come loose on its own?

Rich, I have wondered the same thing. You said you have seen it happen. I never have. My question is this. Have you seen it happen to an original factory virgin compensator bolt,, or did it happen to a once removed, re-loctited, re-tighten crank bolt.

I would be surprised to see a factory original bolt, installed from the factory come loose on it's own. I could see any "other way" come loose on it's own but not a factory original, clean, dry installed new factory bolt. Especially on the current "96" cranks. (pre-gear cover style)

Only a theory & opinion. I don't have enough experience on these bikes to know with any certainty what is true fact. And like you said,, not a challenge. Just wonder the same idea.

Back