free website stats program Engine Knock after burnout | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine Knock after burnout

certifiedtexas

Yes, I knew better, but I did a short burnout on my 2001 Fatboy, that otherwise has had no mechanical problems since birth, and now I have a slight pinging type knock intermitent at low idle and when under power at the beginning of each gear shift. At regular RPM it is not there, just at idle and start up of each shift under power. Its coming from the front cylinder I think and it is not loud, but sounds like something has come loose and is clicking around in there. What could this be? It may be coming from the primary, but sounds more like the front cylinder. Amsoil 20-50 Syn. oil Any ideas?

Yes, I knew better, but I did a short burnout on my 2001 Fatboy, that otherwise has had no mechanical problems since birth, and now I have a slight pinging type knock intermitent at low idle and when under power at the beginning of each gear shift. At regular RPM it is not there, just at idle and start up of each shift under power. Its coming from the front cylinder I think and it is not loud, but sounds like something has come loose and is clicking around in there. What could this be? It may be coming from the primary, but sounds more like the front cylinder. Amsoil 20-50 Syn. oil Any ideas?

Could be primary chain, could be broken valve guide

OK, I was sitting here sulking, thinking about the engine knock, very upset, and I got out my Haynes repair manual. I had just changed the starter, and I was going over everything step by step when I suddenly realized that I did not put the oil back in the primary case after re-assembly. Unfortunatly, I have driven it twice since then, once 45 miles and once 18 miles. I am pretty sure its the primary now, I have not inspected it yet. I was wondering what to expect when I remove the cover. I cant believe I did that.

I realized this just about 30 minutes ago as I was reflecting on my procedure.:wall

or lack of procedure.......

There's a good chance that you haven't hurt it at all. Fill it with lube, ride a bit and see if the knock goes away. Drain it and replace again. Very good chance you are okay.

More than likely the part that would have suffered most from the lack of fluid in the primary would be the tensioner shoe. You should be able to open up the inspection cover and peek in to see how the shoe looks.

I agree with the comment above to just add fluid and see if the sounds return to normal. If not, then you will probably have to open up the primary and look around in there.

TQ

There's a good chance that you haven't hurt it at all. Fill it with lube, ride a bit and see if the knock goes away. Drain it and replace again. Very good chance you are okay.

Pretty stout machines, once rode 20 miles with a 4 speed tranny with no lube, fill her up and see what ya got Good Luck:s

Good thing you did the burn-out...otherwise the knocking would've been later down the road...:s

When you have a problems with something, always look back at the last thing you did or worked on for the cause. I find this to be true in most instances.

The newer bikes with the automatic primary chain tensioner will melt the shoe if you forget the primary oil.

Back