free website stats program engine keeps turning off | Harley Davidson Forums

engine keeps turning off

duner

i have a 95 softail that keeps stalling and will not restart unless you turn the ignition off then back on then motor starts rite up? fuel full starter turns engine over quickly and headlight bright so batery is good?

Do you mean the start does not work? Or the starter works but it will not start? Or is it you get a click like the starter should turn over but doesn't? You also may want to check the contacts in the kill switch. With a little corrosion they become intermittent.

i have a 95 softail that keeps stalling and will not restart unless you turn the ignition off then back on then motor starts rite up? fuel full starter turns engine over quickly and headlight bright so batery is good?

Glider and SledDog have you on the right path I think. I had a similar experience on my '91 Dyna that ran me ragged trying to find. Turned out to be green copper salts in the Kill Switch. Disassembled, scraped, sprayed with contact cleaner, spray lube, re-assembled and fired it up!! No more problems like that!

TQ

i will be riding down the road at 55 the bike turns off, give throtle choke flip kill switch on and off will not fire just keeps coasting, come to a stop hit starter button turns over great still wont fire, turn ignition off then on runs great. so next time it shut off while going down street i switched ign. off & on engine came back to life, i have to do this twice every mile tried just wiggling ignition back and forth a bit has no effect and yes this is a carb bike

Last edited:
My buddies 93' FLSTC has been doing the same thing. He's been pulling his hair out over this for 6 months. Never knows how far he'll ride before it does it again. Tried a new or different everything... that he and or his mechanic can think of. If he finds the gremlin, I'll post it's name here. Good luck pal...

Based on this new info, I think as Glider mentioned, try replacing the ignition switch. Won't hurt having cleaned and lubed the Kill Switch if you have already done that.

TQ

All i can say is thanks will try bypassing ignition tonight if that works i will be very gratefull, I hate taking my bike to someone else they always seem to break or try to sell me ten more things i dont need. i am new to your page and was supprised to get a response so quickly again thank you for all your help.

Back