free website stats program Engine just stopped | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine just stopped

itellya

hi, ...on my way to work today, on my favorite parkway, slowing down to a stop light tapping down in gears, my engine just stopped. I had nothing for about a minute. Put the bike in neutral, flicked the kill switch back and forth and then the engine started.

Any ideas on what happened would help....

thanks
"life is just a series of lost forgotten moments"

Possibly the main breaker is giving up the fight. Cheap to replace and will probably solve the issue.
Did you notice if the lights went out too?

Is this the first time this has happened?

I'd start by verifying that the kill switch hasn't gotten loose enough to wiggle into the OFF position without you moving it there. Just seems kind of suspicious that as soon as you cycled the kill switch the problem went away.

Are any codes being displayed?

Possibly the main breaker is giving up the fight. Cheap to replace and will probably solve the issue.
Did you notice if the lights went out too?

Everything went dead. I will have a look at the main breaker. Thanks

Is this the first time this has happened?

I'd start by verifying that the kill switch hasn't gotten loose enough to wiggle into the OFF position without you moving it there. Just seems kind of suspicious that as soon as you cycled the kill switch the problem went away.

Are any codes being displayed?

NO codes. I will check kill switch. This is the first and only time anything has happened to it. Thanks for your help

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the same thing happen to me a few times, I opened up the ign/light switch (carefully small springs inside) cleaned it stretched out the springs a bit for better contact, put it all back together and hasn't happened again since.

UPDATE....Re: Engine just stopped

I thought i would add some more to the original problem. I usually drive 50 to 55mph in top gear and when i come a light/street corner I usually pull in the clutch and apply the brakes. In most instances I do not downshift. I have noticed a few times that the engine go to a real slow idle, almost as if the engine dies. I do a quick rev and everything is back to normal.

I dont know if the added info is any help however your comments would be helpful.

BTW the engine has not come to a full stop again.

hi, ...on my way to work today, on my favorite parkway, slowing down to a stop light tapping down in gears, my engine just stopped. I had nothing for about a minute. Put the bike in neutral, flicked the kill switch back and forth and then the engine started.

Any ideas on what happened would help....

thanks
"life is just a series of lost forgotten moments"

Re: UPDATE....Re: Engine just stopped

I have noticed a few times that the engine go to a real slow idle, almost as if the engine dies. I do a quick rev and everything is back to normal.

One of the things I would check for is a sticking IAC stepper motor. Maybe just replace it since they are not too expensive.

Back