free website stats program engine hesitation | Harley Davidson Forums

engine hesitation

ridingmtnroads

My 08 Night Rod Special has about 1200 miles on it. It goes like hell, but below about 3400 RPM especailly in lower gears, it hesitates and feels a little "jerky". What comes to mind is bad gas (but I've been through many tanks) or something with the fuel injection - but I'm no mechanic.
I mentioned it to the dealer when I brought it in for it's 1000 mile service and was told that this engine is only happy over 4000RPM and that it's a Harley, it's going to be a bit rough. I don't buy it...anyone else have expreience with this issue?

K.

Tell them to go back to school, it's running lean and they come from the factory like that thanks to EPA.

I would get a TFI and install it (easy install) and the bike will run MUCH better. Used them many times and unless you prefer to buy the SERT for $400+ and some dyno time and total it to about $700-900 this is the best choice IMO.

http://www.techlusion.com/

Tell them to go back to school, it's running lean and they come from the factory like that thanks to EPA.

I would get a TFI and install it (easy install) and the bike will run MUCH better. Used them many times and unless you prefer to buy the SERT for $400+ and some dyno time and total it to about $700-900 this is the best choice IMO.

http://www.techlusion.com/

Glider,

How does the TFI work - meaning does it replace the OEM ECU? If so, does the TFI throw any error codes if something is wrong?

TQ

Last edited:
Glider,

How does the TFI work - meaning does it replace the OEM ECU? If so, does the TFI throw any error codes if something is wrong?

TQ

Hobbit has it nailed, basically all the TFI dies is adjust the pulse width of the injector pulses (richer) with the 4 pots in the unit., no timing or cylinder trim or any of those features like the PC III or SERT. There's 2 different units depending if you want to keep the 02 sensors in the loop or not.

Here's some Q&A on the TFI (fuel nanny as they call it)

Fuel Nanny FAQ

I would sugest Power Commander (PC III) , it will cancel the O2 censors and ride wonderful... just remember to change the baffles.

Back