free website stats program Engine hesitation | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine hesitation

raznkne

I have a 2006 FLSTNI that hesitates when I accellerate, it almost feels like its going to stall then smooths out. This is a constant problem for about a month now.
To try and fix this I have done the following, replace the fuel pump, filter, hoses, check valve, spark plugs and wires. removed and cleaned crank sensor. all of this has not solved the problem, although after replacing the fuel pump, filter and hoses it did run great for a day then the problem returned. My next play is to check all wiring related to the fuel inj. system.
Any other ideas out there or has anyone gone through this and can help? any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks
Steve

You also did not mention any type of fueler (piggy or otherwise) that is installed on the bike. What method of enrichment are you using. If you are not using one (running pure stock or download only), then there is not too many things your problem can be.

First on the list (other than codes as suggested) is to check the fuel pump pressure. Your list of replaced parts did not include the pressure regulator. I am not saying to just replace it,,because you need to take some measurements first.

For some reason, it sounds like the fuel pump pressure at the injectors is once again low. I would almost bet the farm on it. The firmware driven "accelerator pump" requires every bit of 58 psi in order to work and eliminate off idle hesitation.

You also did not mention any type of fueler (piggy or otherwise) that is installed on the bike. What method of enrichment are you using. If you are not using one (running pure stock or download only), then there is not too many things your problem can be.

First on the list (other than codes as suggested) is to check the fuel pump pressure. Your list of replaced parts did not include the pressure regulator. I am not saying to just replace it,,because you need to take some measurements first.

For some reason, it sounds like the fuel pump pressure at the injectors is once again low. I would almost bet the farm on it. The firmware driven "accelerator pump" requires every bit of 58 psi in order to work and eliminate off idle hesitation.

Hesitation that stumbles and then smooths out would point to a lean condition. Do you run good fuel through it? By that i mean are you picky, or will you use cheapest you can find? I personally look for recognizable name brands and use highest octane they have. Unless they have race gas, won't run that in the ultra.
Try running the tank to under a quarter, put some sea foam in the tank, and run around near a gas station for a bit. It is the easiest thing to do, and it just may work. If not, maybe look into getting a pressure tester and see what you have at the injectors.

I'm running a power commander 3, engine has a 95 kit and new lower end with about 25,000mi. on it. I tried bringing up the code and what I got was,
PN 34240-06 .That number wasn't on my list of codes so I have no clue what it means. I called my local dealer ( Simi Vally HD ) and talked with the service manager, Noodles, who said he would pressure test the fuel system for $10, can't beat that. So that is where I'll start, again, and see where the results lead me. I'll keep ya posted. Thanks

I'm running a power commander 3,

That does put a twist on it. But you can't go wrong checking the fuel pressure. It would be nice to see 62 psi, but nothing less than 58 will work.
The part number is just the ID of the Host device sending the data, so your OK.

Back