free website stats program Engine help Please | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine help Please

wideglide1998

Just got by bike back. Took it in for a rear tire and change the fluids.
Then decided to have him check the cam chain tension-er since it has 34000 miles 99 fltri. He said the inside had a piece broke, so I told him to replace them he recommended just replacing them not the upgrade.Went to pick it up today and the mechanic said he cant get it to run right. Very rough at idle hard starting and not a lot of power like it had. He said it was put together correct that it must be my tuning was off and he did not know how to tune a power commander. Took it home put it on my laptop reinstalled the the map. No change. Motor also seems noisier than in did and has lifter noise or something on top ? Motor has a Big bore Kit head work 10:1 tw-55 cams with decompression buttons.Don't what to do next ? Top end out of adjustment or cams were not installed correctly ? :(

With a big bore kit it probably has adj. push rods. I would start there and check them cold. If they are alright I would check the timing of the cams & motor(mechanical).
tourbox

Thanks for the input. Those were my thoughts also. I'll have to take it to a different shop that can work one performance motors. Thanks again.

Check your static timing first then pull the cover to check the timing marks it is cheap insurance and a good starting point

I believe you can check cam timing by;
a. remove both spark plugs.
b. using a straw find top dead center of either cylinder.
c. release the push rod tube clips and raise the lower half of both tubes on the same cylinder
d. with the piston at top dead center the lifters should be at the beginning or end of there respective travel (if no movement rotate the engine one more revolution) with a slight overlap.

Run a compression test. If one tooth off, you will see a variance of 30-40psi between cylinders.

Back