free website stats program Engine heat | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine heat

voodoomaster

My 2009 XL883 died on me twice today, in stop and go traffic. The ambient temp was 90 degrees (Tucson, AZ). It started right back up, bit what a pain! Does anybody have the same problem with a fuel injected 883?:hummer

Last edited by a moderator:
Gets hotter than 90 in Iowa and we don't have a problem.
Never heard of anyone with a problem. Otherwise we'd have Sportsters stuck along the road, all over the place.

It'll take some checking if you have a problem.

My 2009 XL883 died on me twice today, in stop and go traffic.

Never heard of that problem either regarding just Sportsters. The 2009 Sporty doesn't have EITMS so you won't be given any warning of how hot the engine is getting. Maybe perform a WOW test just to see if you have any historical codes due to the event. Other than saying it is a 2009 883, you gave no info about the bike (mileage on clock, fuel management devices, if bone stock, stage 1 etc).

The problem could be generated from a few areas. Could you have kept the engine running if you gave it a little more throttle while in neutral, or did it die regardless of any attempts to keep it running. More info would help diagnose.

Check your fuel pump... And put a gauge on the fuel line and run around the block with it! You might have a failing pump!

Check your fuel pump... And put a gauge on the fuel line and run around the block with it! You might have a failing pump!
It was the fuel pump. The stealer replaced a "faulty connection" on the pump and it cured my ills. That engine does get hot though. It is just about stock, with a VO2 a/c and the X14ieds on.

Back