free website stats program Engine Guard | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine Guard

can anyone tell me what they are talking about when they are saying engine guard? would that be what i would call the crash bars? They are written up on my estimate from dealer and cost about 200.00 bucks. The ones that are on there now don't seem to have any damage and didn't want them replaced if they are not damaged, but want to make sure that i know what i am talking about

I believe you will find that they are refering to what you know as "crash Bars". The use of this term has been discontiued I think because of the implied liability that they will somehow protect you in an accident.

I like to call them "Highway Bars" no negative connotations using the "C" word all riders hate....I like the Lindby Bars, very durable/robust chrome, design and materials with plenty of footpositions. :s

http://www.hdtimeline.com/dyna_models/25713-lindby_highway_bars.html

KuryakinMiniWings.jpg

Crash bars and engine guards are one and the same. The only thing they are good for are somewhere to put your feet and they do protect your paint when you drop your bike in the parking lot etc. Ah yeah, someplace to mount your lowers on UC's. :bigsmiley11:

That's what i figured they were talking about. They don't have any damage to them so I don't think they will have to be replaced

I don't know what kind of "incident" you had but the crash, err, engine guard/highway bars may be slightly bent. Not enough to casually notice. A easy way to tell is to loosen or remove the bottom mounting bolt on the side of impact. If there is any bend, the bar will spring away from the mounting hole. Also carefully look at the tiny 5/16" mounting bolt at the top center. It sometimes will rip the metal away from the frame.

had small fire in my garage. didn't do great deal of damage to bike luckily but did mess the paint and som wiring. Taking 6 to 8 weeks for harley to send new painted tank, since it is an anniversary couldn't get it painted anywhere. So don't think there is any problem with the bars as long as it didn't hurt chrome

Back