free website stats program Engine Guard? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine Guard?

Does an engine guard provide any real function other than chrome and looks? Was wondering if pegs on the engine guard would be worth the application for comfort while riding or do they pose a problem on emergency braking as a rider would have to reposition quickly?

Thanks

Mueller

If it's comfort your after, have you looked at forward controls? I had them put on my sporty before I drove off the lot......It was really comfortable. On the other hand an engine guard or I like to call "crash bar" is nice to have as others have stated, if/when it goes down. I laid my glide down at probably 25-30 MPH, :bigsmiley29:and they took most of the damage. I did scrape the fairing and saddlebag lid a little, but probably due to the low side'ing action. I had one quarter sized road rash on my elbow, and a broken rib, but I think it would have been much worse without those crash bars. I have also had one of those moments of "forgetfullness", :small3d023: where I thought the jiffy stand was down but it wasn't. By the time I realized it wasn't down, I couldn't stop it from going down, all I could do was slow it down, and again, the crash bar stopped it. JMO and expeirences.

I wouldn't be without an engine guard. Saved my leg once. Had someone say they wouldn't have one because they are "ugly". My only response was, "Are they uglier than having 600 pounds of hot steel crushing your leg?"

Does an engine guard provide any real function other than chrome and looks? Was wondering if pegs on the engine guard would be worth the application for comfort while riding or do they pose a problem on emergency braking as a rider would have to reposition quickly?

Thanks

Mueller

Oh yeah, they are more than worth it. Not only do I love my highway pegs but as mentioned before they add some protection for a slow speed lay down.

defintely need the engine guard could save your foot/leg and / or your paint if ever ends up on it's side. can get soft lowers to put on it too when weather is cold and / or rainy. keeps you warmer and bugs and slop off of you and your bike more. i'm too short to try the pegs so can't help you with that part but my hubby loves his highway pegs on his heritage.

Back