free website stats program Engine guard/Crash bar | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine guard/Crash bar

I've actually heard of folks drilling and tapping the bottom attachment mounting plates and installing hose fittings, then routing their engine oil through the bar, so that the bar acts somewhat like an oil cooler. I don't know how effective it would be and I'm not too sure if I'd care for a 180 - 230° chrome-steel pipe out there.

This has been done for years and works pretty good:s

I personally like the look of them on baggers. They really do work if the bike just falls over and I hate to see my bike fall without them. Just a simple drop if your foot were to slip could cause a lot of damage. Sometimes they can fall to the point of no return, where you can't hold it up, or risk injuring yourself trying to hold it up. I've been training riders for years on Road Kings, KZ100's and HD FXR's and have seen hundreds of drops at slow and even speeds above 10mph that resulted in zero damage to the bike, other than scraped up engine guards. As long as the bike does not flip in a slide they do there job quite well to protect your investment. I think replacing an engine guard is about 200 bucks, last time I checked a few years ago.

Doc, post a pic please, I am going to put crash bars on my softail and I was looking into different options for the pegs. thanks. bcortani

Doc, post a pic please, I am going to put crash bars on my softail and I was looking into different options for the pegs. thanks. bcortani

They are out a little wider then I would like but I stiil love em.

Attachments

• Peg1.JPG
    Peg1.JPG
    222.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Peg2.JPG
    Peg2.JPG
    196.1 KB · Views: 33
By removing the Crash bar would you think it decreases frame support to the point where one might experience slight flexing in the front end during aggressive cornering or during high speed sweepers? Does the crash bar add more frame stiffness?

Twin cradle frame does not benefit from the engine guard installation, as it is on each side of the downtube members already stiffened by steering neck and cross member support downsteam. JMO

Re using the crash bar as an oil cooler...seems to me you could be adding a whole new level of problems to your situation.

If you're out and about, and drop your bike while parking or stopping on the side of the road, the crash bar does its job. But if it's full of oil, and you happen to crack a weld or break off a tab when it hits, now you're leaking oil all over, and the bike becomes inoperable. Not a good risk vs benefit, IMO.

Just my .02, but I would strongly recommend drop bars. It doesn't take much to break fins on the motor and fixing this is pricey.

If you want extra oil cooling, there are coolers that mount to the down tubes. As far as the "engine guards" They made the difference between a broken foot and an crushed foot, I am short myself and found some really nice mounts that are adjustable fore and aft and made the reach to where I could reach the pegs well. The rest is preference for you.
Ride long, ride often and ride safe

Man I'm becoming more and more convinced I should just put them back on and just give myself time to get use to them.
Thanks again for the great input and suggestions.

Back