free website stats program Engine guard/Crash bar | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine guard/Crash bar

lightning

By removing the Crash bar would you think it decreases frame support to the point where one might experience slight flexing in the front end during aggressive cornering or during high speed sweepers? Does the crash bar add more frame stiffness?

I don't think the crash bar has any effect on frame stiffness for a few reasons.
* It has only one bolt at the top. Nothing to stop flex.
* The large loop allows flex. I can flex my extra crash bar slightly by hand.
* Flex in that area is not much of a issue.
* The phone interrupted me, and I forgot the other reason.:34:

I took mine off my 92 FLHS to see how it would look, it did not seem to handle any different, tho it did not look right JMO:s

Here is some trivia on "Crash Bars". You will not see these words in any Harley catalog since about thirty years ago. They found out and I was their witness that the crash bars meant that they would protect the rider. Now hey are "Spill Bars" for parking tip overs.

It does nothing but look nice and keep from banging your bike up if you happen to drop it while stopped!:D

Calling them "crash bars" would create a legal issue, I guess the correct term is engine guards.
kemo

Thanks for your responses guys. I took my "spill guards" off shortly after I bought my than new 2009 FLHX. Just a personal thing but it felt strange having those things sticking out the sides in front of me. I never had them on any of my prior bikes and had a hard time getting use to them. I have had two tip over’s and fortunately on both occasions the floor boards contacted the ground and took the weight off while I supported the bike from going all the way over. I’ve been contemplating putting them back on for their intended purpose, but I guess I was looking to see if there was more to their functionality. (my legs are to short for highway pegs, lol…)

I've actually heard of folks drilling and tapping the bottom attachment mounting plates and installing hose fittings, then routing their engine oil through the bar, so that the bar acts somewhat like an oil cooler. I don't know how effective it would be and I'm not too sure if I'd care for a 180 - 230° chrome-steel pipe out there.

Back