free website stats program Engine dying... | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine dying...

Halloran

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums and would like to post my first problem with my 2002 Fatboy I've been experiencing. Anyhow, the bike will run fine for about 30 minutes and then all of a sudden the engine will kind of stutter like it's running out of fuel then the engine will die. I still have primary power to the bike but when I try to start it back up I don't hear the fuel system charge when I recycle the bike. If I let it sit a while I can get it to start back up and it seems to idle just fine indefinitely, it's only when I actually start to ride is when it stutters and dies.

I talked to local tech and he said it's either the fuel pump going out, a heat sensor on the head or a coil. He said he heated the sensor on the head to somewhere around 300 degrees with a heat gun and couldn't get the bike to die.

Does anyone else have any input on this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'd check the fuel filter since it is easy to do. May be getting enough through it to idle but starves out when you put it under strain. Also, do you think there is a chance that you have waterin, or bad gas?

What codes has it set? More info needed, any mods?

Please post any pertinent information to get a better answer.

Valvetrain is completely stock. I haven't taken it to Harley to have them code scan it yet. I'm pretty new to the whole motorcycle thing but is there a way that I can scan it by taking it to a local autoparts store or is Harley the only place that can scan it?

Thanks again!

Valvetrain is completely stock. I haven't taken it to Harley to have them code scan it yet. I'm pretty new to the whole motorcycle thing but is there a way that I can scan it by taking it to a local autoparts store or is Harley the only place that can scan it?

Thanks again!

Why would you want to take it anywhere when you can do it yourself? All you have to do is to read through the self help forums.

Look at the bottom of this post. Self Help Information and Tips :D

00-03 HD Codes And Activation - Harley Davidson Community

the bike will run fine for about 30 minutes and then all of a sudden the engine will kind of stutter like it's running out of fuel then the engine will die. I still have primary power to the bike but when I try to start it back up I don't hear the fuel system charge when I recycle the bike. If I let it sit a while I can get it to start back up and it seems to idle just fine indefinitely, it's only when I actually start to ride is when it stutters and dies.

Check this out:

Engine Dies And Runs In Spurts - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

The tech working on my bike is saying that it's not fuel related. He pressure checked the system and checked the pump and filter and everything looks good. He is pretty certain it's a coil problem. Would a bad coil cause the fuel pump to not charge when the ignition is engaged?

How do I figure out which codes were thrown? Do I need some sort of plugin scanner or something? Is it something I can get at a local auto parts store?

Last edited:
Back