free website stats program Engine Drain plug magnet Fuzz.. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine Drain plug magnet Fuzz..

Just changed mine two days ago after 3000 miles with mobil 1 v-twin and had 0 fuzz on the plug. Very happy with it.

Hoople if you really want to see what is being trapped in your oil, I cut the oil filter open after every third fill. As my 94FLSTC got more miles (over 70,000) I started to see more trapped fine metal.

That's a great idea Don. I still have the old removed filter so I will open it up just to take a peek. I have ~ 14,000 miles on the bike so far.

I really figured that having zero fuzz would be a rare sight but it seems to be out there in numbers.

At my 5000 (and winter storage change) no fuzz on any plug.
using:
Mobile 1 V twin in motor
Spectro 6 speed in tran
Spectro Primary in...primary:)
I really did notice a change to smoother shifting with the Spectro 6 and nuetral is no problem at all.

That's a great idea Don. I still have the old removed filter so I will open it up just to take a peek. I have ~ 14,000 miles on the bike so far.

I really figured that having zero fuzz would be a rare sight but it seems to be out there in numbers.

Hoop,
if you've never cut your filter open before, there's a couple ways to do it.
You can cut it with an old style manual can opener, a hacksaw (watch the cuttings) or, they actually make a tool for cutting filters that you can get at most any heavy equipment dealer.
1st, cut it as close to the attaching side as possible
Then lift the element out of the can and slice around the filter material to seperate it ftom the center tube
Carefully spread the filter material on a surface where you can closely examine it..........where you want to look is not necessarily on the flat surfaces of the filter paper, but down in the pleats. That is where you will find anything that the filter traps.
If you're seeing stuff out on the flat parts of the filter material, you generally have found real trouble....and when you look in the bottom of the pleats, it will be loaded up.
Generally, on a good machine, you will find little or nothing.

Carefully spread the filter material on a surface where you can closely examine it..........where you want to look is not necessarily on the flat surfaces of the filter paper, but down in the pleats. That is where you will find anything that the filter traps.
If you're seeing stuff out on the flat parts of the filter material, you generally have found real trouble....and when you look in the bottom of the pleats, it will be loaded up.
Generally, on a good machine, you will find little or nothing.

Great Info! I will try it and see what I find.

Hoop

Take a look at what I made to cut the filters open. Real easy to make...

Cutting An Oil Filter - Harley Davidson Community

Now that is a serious tool. A Cutter wheel from a can opener. Now that is resourceful Glider,, nice job!

MRS. Glider told me that it does get a little messy when Glider opens up the soup for Lunch though..:D

Very Nice tool.....

signed....BUBBIE

She's been telling you the secrets again. I guess I'll have to put her back in the basement again. :lolrolling

It's so simple it's pathetic IMO and made from all parts lying around on a rainy day. That's when I do my best work! :D

Back