free website stats program Engine Dies And Runs In Spurts | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine Dies And Runs In Spurts

HD chic

Banned
I have a 01 ultra classic with 44 thousand miles on it and its driving me nuts .I have replaced all fuel lines inside the tank and out side the fuel pump and it ran fine for 2 or 3 hours and then it started again .So I took it to the dealer and they adjusted the air fuel screw and one other screw and it ran fine again for 50 or 60 miles .Then back to the dealer and was told it was the crank sensor so off I go for another 100 miles and it started again any ideas would be a great help .
PS I been told replace the inj system with carb !! I think my system is called Magnetti-Marrelli

There was one guy here with the same system, doing the same thing, and it turned out to be the wires going to his injectors. The insulation had worn off of them and would short out intermittently. Sounds about the same as you have as far as symptoms. Do a search on this site for magnetti morrelli and see what comes up. I think the thread im referring to was called "back cylinder cuts out"
Good luck!

You'll also find that the injector wires on your year bagger (01) were strapped too tight from the factory and the copper breaks on the inside of the wiring right near the injector. Re fasten the harness and leave a bit more slack in it.

Wiggle the wire near the injector with the bike running and see if it misses.

Are there any codes logged to the ECM. Check for them. I would guess you would also have a 24 or 25 error code logged if it was an injector wire.

Thank you for all the replys .I took it back to the dealer and they told me it would not act up after going 100 miles on the dyno and there were no codes .So I will look into the reply on the wiring thanks and I will keep you posted .

I have a 2002 Road King with 50 k miles on it, I had what sounds like a similiar problem your describing and in my case it turned out to be a vacuum leak bad intake manifold gaskets.

That would also give you a similar problem but a fuel pressure test would isolate the internal hose as a source.

I have had 2 bad injectors on mine in the past year. Are you close to Colorado? I have the adapter to check fuel pressure & the noid light to check if the wires are bad to the injectors. Good luck

Toby

Back